Proposal

He watched her with wonder as she paced furiously back and forth, amazed at how enraged this beautiful creature had become. He had seen her angry before, but never to this extent. Every step she took practically shook the balcony, and she might as well have been spitting fire rather than speaking.

“How dare he!” she raged. Her hands were curled into tight balls of fury, her nails most likely digging into the palms of her hands. “He is not my father!”

“I know he’s not your father, but he’s the head of your family now. He has every right to—”

“To what?” she demanded, throwing her hands in the air. She still paced; she was too worked up to stand in one spot. “Force me to marry some random lord? And for his gain?!”

“Galena, you’re wearing a hole in the stones.”

She stopped in front of him, suppressing a laugh. “How can you be so calm about this?”

He rubbed his face and mumbled through this his hands. “What other choice do I have?”

She knelt on the ground in front of him. “Tyrion, do you not love me?” she questioned softly. “Fight this with me. Fight for me.”

He reached out and touched her face, gently stroking her cheek with his thumb, tilting his head to the side. “You know I do.” He leaned forward and kissed her cheek. “But he’s promised you to another, my dear. And even though he says he doesn't know who yet, you and I both know he already has someone in mind. And your cousin has more than likely already told him.”

She rose again, angrier than before. “For what?!” she shouted. “For all they know, I'm a bastard, and I'm,” she lowered her voice and was so quiet he could barely hear her next words. “I'm damaged goods.” She sat heavily on the chair beside him.

He warmly took her hand in his. “You’re not damaged. You’re beautiful,” he said gently. “And as far as being a bastard, you’re a Stark through and through. Jon will have made sure to reveal your true parentage. Everyone in the Seven Kingdoms, if they don't know already, will know. He knows a bastard girl is not sought after, but a Stark girl...well...”

She looked at him with tears in her eyes. “So along with bethrothing me to someone, who he hasn’t identified, he’s put my life in jeopardy as well,” she scoffed.

He shook his head with regret. “Yes.”

He looked away from her, not wanting her to see the worry in his eyes. He couldn't believe the dangers the King in the North had put her in. As a bastard of Winterfell, that's all she was - a bastard - and no one wanted to wed a bastard. As a Lady of Winterfell, to most men, she was a prize. The men who wanted power and security would vie for her, but the men who already had power and security, would see her as a threat. Especially because, despite what her family thought, she was very much a legend around Westeros. Most everyone had heard of Jen Snow and the brave, daring woman that she was. She was known for her fighting skills, and her ability to kill a man with barely an effort.

She placed her fingers under his chin and gently turned his face to hers. She softly kissed his lips attempting to rid him of his concerns. “What are you thinking?”

He drew in a long breath as he ran his hand through his hair. “My sister. If Cersei knows who you really are, I fear she will stop at nothing to get rid of you.” He clenched his jaw, tightening his hands over the arms of the chair and leaned toward her. “Or worse yet,” he murmured, “wed you to Jaime.”

She jerked her head back and wrinkled her face. “Why would she do that? She's in love with your...with her brother.”

He nodded reluctantly. “Something we all know,” he groaned. “But it would tie the Starks and the Lannisters together, there in turn forcing you to choose your husband’s side, or your family’s side. And Jon, well, he would have to choose also." He pointed at her, and then to the stone floor beneath their feet. "Between you and Daenerys.”