Pact

Daenerys squinted at the sunlight as it reflected off of the water and into her eyes, but it didn't bother her; she needed some fresh air, and this was her favorite spot in all of Dragonstone. She inhaled deeply, taking in the smell of the salty sea air, when she spotted something in the distance.

“They're beautiful, aren't they?” she asked as she approached the piece of driftwood.  

Galena glanced up at her, and then returned her attention back to the sky. “They're brilliant,” she said with awe as she watched the three dragons weave in and out of the clouds. She stood quickly, then, realizing who she was talking to, and stumbled into a clumsy curtsy. “I beg your pardon, Your Grace.”

Daenerys smiled lightly. “It’s alright. You needn’t bow every time you see me.” She gestured at the log Galena had been sitting on. “May I?”

“Yes, of course!” Galena waited until the queen sat, and then sat down beside her. “They're all so stunning! But that one,” she pointed to the green dragon with the bronze markings, “he is magnificent!”

“That’s Rhaegal. He's named for my brother Rhaegar,” Daenerys smiled.

Galena slapped her hand to her mouth as the dragon suddenly dove into the water and resurfaced with a fish nearly as big as she was. “Gods!” she whispered loudly as he threw the fish in the air and breathed fire from his mouth. “That was the most incredible thing I've ever seen!”

Daenerys was stunned into silence for a moment. While most people feared her dragons, Galena didn’t seem one bit fazed by them. Seeing the enchantment in Galena’s eyes thrilled her, but she worried for the girl. What awful things did she have to endure that made three growing dragons so easy to accept? She crooked her head at Galena, convincing herself that expressing her concerns would only scare her away. “They’re mesmerizing,” she admitted. “I would watch them all day long if I were able to.”

“Why can’t you?” Galena asked bluntly.

Daenerys stared at Galena softly. She had never heard something more true. Why couldn't she spend the day admiring her dragons? Her children! Who would dare tell her otherwise? And, anyway, who would argue with her when she had three dragons by her side? Surely the war would still be there if she spent the rest of the afternoon sitting right where she was, doing exactly as she wanted.

“What’s the matter?” Galena asked abruptly, pulling Daenerys out of her daydream. “Do I have something in my hair? Or on my dress? I knew I shouldn't have sent the handmaiden away,” she rambled. “I'm just not used to being pampered and waited on. I'm such a slob. I'm so sorry!” She nervously ran her hands through her hair, over her dress, and then through her hair again. “Shit. Naturally I would make an ass out of myself the first time we’re alone.”

Daenerys chuckled at the girl’s lack of manners. She liked how uncouth she could be at times, and she liked how honest she was when she spoke. Daenerys gently placed her hand on Galena’s arm and lowered it to her side. “No, you look lovely. I'm sorry I was staring. It's just that you make a lot of sense.”

Galena cleared her throat, looking down at the sand briefly. “I do? What about?”

Daenerys’ heart beat a pace quicker. She was pained by Galena’s aversion to compliments, even the slightest one. The girl Jon spoke of was not a shy girl, and she certainly wasn’t as submissive as the one who sat before her. But not wanting her to retreat into seclusion again, Daenerys pushed aside what she really wanted to say, and continued with the conversation at hand.

“You're right,” she said, looking to the cliff where the dragons rested. “I should able to spend more time with my dragons.”

“Jon thinks I'm a lunatic for spending most of my time with the direwolves. He tells me I should find other things to do,” she said calmly as she criss crossed her legs under her dress. “I don't listen to him, though. They are the only bit of home I have left. He doesn't understand. He's been gone for so long, and he's been to so many places, I sometimes wonder if he even remembers home.” She grabbed onto her ankles and shrugged her shoulders. “Anyway,” she said as she sniffed back tears, “you should be able to spend time with the ones you love, mythical beast or not.” She paused and lowered her voice, meeting Daenerys gaze as her assertiveness shone through. “I say you should do whatever you want. You are the queen, after all.”