Reconciliation

As usual, Galena was nowhere to be found in the castle, but he knew that meant she would only be in one other place, even as dusk fell. Jon stood at the top of the hill and watched them as they held hands and quietly talked amongst themselves. Every now and then he could hear her laughing boisterously. Sometimes it was because of something the direwolves did, but mostly it was because of something Tyrion said to her.

“Why are you always up here?” he chuckled as he walked toward them, having decided that he had eavesdropped long enough.

Tyrion’s head shot up as he tried to let go of her hand, but she wouldn't let him. Jon admired her audacity. After days of their relentless arguing, she finally had her friend back, and she wasn't going to let anything, or anyone, tear them apart again.

“I enjoy watching them,” Galena offered simply. “They remind me of home. A warmer home,” she shrugged with a slight chuckle, “but home nonetheless. And besides, it's too dark and gloomy in that castle. It’s creepy.”

He smiled at her, because he couldn't deny any of the things she said. He brought Ghost with him for the very same reason. And he had to admit, the castle was a bit overwhelming with its gothic design and all of the dragon statues.

“I was hoping we could talk, Tyrion” he said, looking at the man beside his cousin.

Galena met his eyes with worry, and a hint of anger. “Jon, can you not just leave it alone?”

“I promise you,” he said, “I am leaving it alone.”

She searched his eyes for any signs of deceit, and when she didn't find any, she stood, ready to give them privacy. “He’ll tell me if you threaten him, you know?”

“I wouldn't expect anything less. Which is why I want you to stay and hear what I have to say.” He smiled wryly as a look of confusion and shock crossed her face. “Sit down, Lena.”

She sat down cautiously, as if Jon had somehow managed to put a tack on her seat, much like he and Robb had done to her many times when they were growing up. “What are you up to, Jon?”

“Hear him out, Lena,” Tyrion said curiously as he placed his hand on her wrist. “Let him talk.”

She was clearly unsatisfied that Tyrion and Jon were on the same page. Jon chuckled at the grimace on her face. “Relax, Lena,” he said, standing in front of them. "You'll like what I have to say."

He loosely clasped his hands behind his back.“Lord Tyrion,” he said gruffly. “I want to apologize for the way I've been treating you.” He cleared his throat, looked at the ground, and then looked Tyrion in the eyes. “I know we've had this conversation before, and I know that neither of you believed what I said. You were both right not to trust me, because I didn't mean any of it.”

Galena stood up, and crossed her arms over her chest as she leaned against the boulder. She looked proud, Jon thought. Proud and vexed. Proud of him for admitting his wrong doings, and vexed because she still didn't quite believe him.

“Tyrion,” he continued, ignoring his cousin’s intimidating stance, “I know about your past, and I know about your philandering ways. I know you love women, and that you've had many over the years.”

Galena scoffed and rolled her eyes.

Jon glanced at her, but that was as much acknowledgment as he gave her. “That, and because you're a Lannister, drove my distaste for you, and I hated the thought of you vying for her. When we were growing up, all we wanted to do, Robb and myself, was protect her from men just like you.”

“Jon!” Galena protested.

“Let me finish!” Jon demanded, raising a hand to her, but he never took his eyes off of Tyrion. She pouted and shut her mouth.

“After this morning,” he continued, “I finally realized that all you want to do...is protect her. We were both stunned when you hit Theon with that oar," he admitted as he gestured to Galena. "But I was all the more impressed when you didn't stop, when you kept going, and promised to kill him. You were the only one who stepped in when he assaulted her, and shut him the hell up. I can't say why I didn't intervene. I'm ashamed of myself, and always will be. You may be a Lannister, Lord Tyrion, but I will be eternally grateful to you. It's obvious how much you care for her, and so, with that being said, I give you,” he glanced at Galena, and then back to Tyrion, “both of you, my blessing.”

Tyrion lifted his head, and then looked at Galena, who had been rendered speechless.

Jon stood silently, waiting for a response. When he didn't get one, he started to speak again, but was interrupted by Galena leaping into his arms with a hard thud. It hurt, but he didn't care. She wrapped her arms around him and hugged him tighter than she ever had before. He hugged her back, feeling like he had finally resolved their issues, and that he would finally get his cousin, his best friend, back.

When she released Jon from her grasp, she turned to Tyrion. “Tyrion, would you mind leaving us?”

Tyrion nodded and jumped off of the boulder. “Of course.” He held his hand out to Jon, who gladly shook it. “Thank you, Jon. I do care for her, and you don't know how much this means to me. To us.”

Jon smiled and nodded his assent.

Tyrion smiled brightly at Galena, and then turned, walking down the hill, giving them their privacy.

“Thank you, Jon,” Galena said as she hugged him again. She pulled away and looked up at him. “I know you don't like it, but I appreciate you saying everything you did. And for giving us a chance."

He sighed deeply. “You're right. I don't like it. But you're a grown woman, and you should be able to make your own choices.” He held her hand. “The fact that he's a Lannister will always be in the back of my mind, but I know now, that he isn't like them, and that I can trust him.”

“He’s a good person, Jon,” she pressed. “Aside from you, he is the only person I really trust, and truly care for.”

“To be honest,” Jon said as he leaned against the boulder, “I've always found him honorable. He’s a very wise man, and he was nothing but kind to me in Winterfell, and on our journey to The Wall. He understood what it was like to be an outcast.”

She looked at him with a tilt of her head, a bit flummoxed. “If that's the case, then why did you behave so horrifically toward him these past few weeks?”

He shrugged and squinted his eyes. “I was a little jealous,” he admitted embarrassed. “The two of you had this immediate connection, and it took away our connection.”

She laughed. “If you didn't behave like such an ass,” she said as she playfully punched his shoulder, “we would have been just as close as we were at home.”

He nodded. “I know,” he said in his gruff voice. “And I'm sorry. Can you forgive me?”

She stared him in the eyes, and bit her lip. After a few moments of silence, she smiled. “Yes, Jon.” She hugged him again. “I've missed you.”

He lifted her off the ground and hugged her tighter than she had hugged him only moments ago. “I can't even begin to explain how much I've missed you.” He lowered her to the ground and pushed a stray hair out of her face. “And I promise, I'll try not to be an ass again.”