Chapter 5

V

It was on the ride to Clun that he wondered (not for the first time) if he was going soft in the head. Vaisey had often accused him of that very thing; going soft, being too lenient, wasting time and energy on 'pursuing Lepers' – indeed this week he had received a number of dressing downs - it had of course not gone unnoticed by the Sheriff that his thoughts were elsewhere. This journey to Clun had been all he could think about.

But could anyone blame him really? Was it so surprising that he could no longer throw himself wholeheartedly into Vaisey's schemes? He was not a machine; there was only so much a man could take. For years, he had been a loyal servant and if this, his current existence as lackey and whipping boy for Vaisey and his minions was the payoff, then one could hardly wonder that his time, energy and desires often lay elsewhere.

He needed something to hope for.

He needed something to look forward to.

And now that the promise of marriage to Marian was gone, (the last thing that had made it all bearable) he was finding it increasingly difficult to stomach the demands of his Master.

It was in these circumstances that this crazy idea of his - to find what out what had happened to his little friend, was all that he had to get by. He did not know what he would do if he found her, he did not dare to think about what she would make of him either but all he knew was that this attempt to find her and these thoughts of her were a consolation to him at a time when consolation was sorely needed.

He had not quite reached Clun as he was seized once more by doubts. What if this friend of Thornton's remembered him? He had taken part in the destruction of his village – that was enough reason for this man to refuse him any help; in fact, it was a good enough reason to throw him out or worse. It was not as if he had any reason to expect a warm welcome in Clun as it was, Vaisey had often made him go there to harass whichever poor bastards had not stumped up enough money for their taxes.

I don't suppose telling them that I'm on my day off would make a difference?

He had to tread lightly here. If this all went pear-shaped, Vaisey might find out about it and that was even worse than being back to square one in the search. No, he would have to be careful. Best behaviour today Gisborne, keep a civil tongue in your head and a tight rein on that temper of yours and all should be well. Failing that, pay the man. Every deal is sweeter with a little money on the table. He reflexively checked to see that the money he had brought with him was still where it was supposed to be, took a deep breath and then rode into Clun.

*****

"You know what you can do? You can f...."

"I haven't said anything yet!"

Well that was a good start.

"I've paid my taxes!"

"I didn't say you hadn't!"

"You bastards! You're never happy are you? I've got mouths to feed you know!"

Guy found it amusing that the peasants always said the same things. Well, amusing up to a point anyway, until they started getting really ratty, then it got irritating. This bloke was already at that stage.

"I'm not here to collect taxes."

"You could've fooled me that is all you're ever here for..."

"Not today." Guy crossed his arms defensively; it was a bad habit of his.

"You can tell the Sheriff to stick it!"

"I'm not here for the Sheriff."

"Where is the b...?"

"He isn't here."

"Yes he is - he must be skulking about hiding somewhere."

Guy sighed. God this was getting old real fast.

"He isn't. You have my word."

"Your word! Ha! Your word isn't worth a knob of goatsh..."

Guy swallowed down his anger, eyes flitting up to the heavens.

"Please, if you don't believe me feel free to have a look around. You will find no Sheriff, no guards... I'm not even carrying a weapon." OK, the last bit was a lie, of course he was, he had a dagger strapped to his arm but ratty here didn't have to know that.

Guy held his arms up, palms skyward, a gesture of submission that seemed to pacify the man.

"I am looking for somebody..." he began

"I knew you'd be wanting something! Is it some poor bugger you're lookin' to hang?"

Oh Thornton, what have you got me into here?

"No!" Guy pinched the bridge of his nose in exasperation. "No. I am looking for someone I used to know from the former village of Castlebrook. I have been informed that you were a resident there"

"Someone you want to hang?"

God, give me strength.

"No. I don't want to hang anybody. I want to..." Well? What then? What is it you want then?

"...I was friends with a young girl from there..."

"You messing with kids now? You bloody pervert! I've a mind to..."

"No!" This was going really well. This will teach you to have bright ideas Gisborne...

He took a deep breath to calm himself and then decided that a different strategy was in order.

"Well, I say I was friends with the young girl but to be honest I barely knew her. It was Lady Marian who was friends with her actually..." he glanced over at the object of his exasperation to see if he was going for it - he still looked wary but at least he had stopped cursing and jabbing his finger at him.

"...yes, they were very close you see and lost contact and I thought that well err... perhaps..."

"You'd wheedle your way into her good books by finding this girl."

Guy smirked and said nothing.

Well if you are going to think of me as a bastard...