Chapter 9

IX

"Burn the house!"

"Guy no!.... Please Sir Guy!"

"Beg!"

"Sir Guy... Please... I beg you..."

"Better................. But still not good enough!"

*****

Guy thought on the events of the past few days with a certain detached horror. He was alarmed at how quickly the tendrils of hate and anger twisting low in his stomach had completely consumed him, resulting in this most recent display of destruction and violence on his part.

And as much as he would like to fall back on his usual excuse of 'following the Sheriff's orders', he knew that just wouldn't cut it this time.

No Gisborne.

You wanted it.

You set her house alight as she begged you not to.

And you wanted it.

*****

At first, he been relieved not to find Mina in York.

He had made enquiries at the relevant address (and a few more places besides) and upon learning that nobody remembered the girl or her father, he had decided it was time to put a stop to this silly escapade. He had even laughed because yes, it was laughable how ridiculous it had all become; riding all this way to find some ghost of his past, catering to a foolish flight of fancy, getting wrapped up in some strange quest that he really could not afford to... and last but not least; lying to Vaisey about going on a trip to find a 'spy' whilst knowing that if his master found out what he was really doing he would probably beat him to within an inch of his life for being such a pathetic sentimental soft-arsed weakling...

And so he chalked it all up to what it basically was; a distraction from all that had hurt him.

He had needed something to bring him comfort and this thing, this girl, this trip, had been it. But he would have to go back, that much he knew, and the real world would be waiting for him. None of his problems had gone away whilst he had been indulging himself with all this, no if anything it had all probably gotten worse in his absence but he didn't allow himself many luxuries and so decided to enjoy what little time remained in York.

It was later that the he began to think of her again. And the relief he felt turned to sadness.

Where are you?

His bed was still warm from the woman he had charmed into it. Based on the dreams he had been having of late, he figured a woman would be just the thing to make him feel better. But now he felt worse. For she was not the woman he'd wanted.

That made him feel so empty.

And lonely.

And angry...

Marian.

What have you done to me?

What have you reduced me to?

He could feel the tendrils of hate taking root low in his stomach...

*****

"...So..... Speaking of our lady leper friends... it's time to go get the pretty one and her daddy"

"And if they resist? Should I use force?"

"Get up to speed Gisborne – use force anyway."