Chapter 28

XXVIII

You can be sure that if I had the time, I would write a great many things to you Robin of Locksley.

Alas, time is not a luxury I have this day.

I inform you herewith of my departure from Locksley, Nottingham and the Sheriff's service.

I inform you in particular because my leaving the Castle puts Marian in danger.

You must ensure her removal from the Castle immediately.

Take good care of her. I don't doubt that you will.

Guy of Gisborne.

P.S. What possessions of mine that remain at Locksley I leave to Marian as apology for the wrongs I have done her. Please see to it that she takes ownership before the Sheriff arrives to take possession.

*****

Dear Marian,

I am sorry.

I wish we could have met at a different time, in a different place and under different circumstances, perhaps then I could have become a kinder, braver and better man – a man worthy of you.

At least now, I can finally see that with the way things are, it will never happen.

The only kindness I can now grant you is the one you asked me for, the one I should have granted you a long time ago – I shall leave you be.

I wish I could put right the wrongs I have done by you but I think we both know that it is too late for that. I leave you the remainder of my possessions at Locksley, it is of course, no substitute for all that I have taken from you, but it is, under the circumstances, the best I can do.

I now leave this place. You have nothing more to fear from me.

Guy of Gisborne

P.S. You should know that Allan did not willingly betray your cause – he was coerced; he had no choice.

Locksley would be a fool not to take him back.

*****

You are a shrewd man Allan, and I have reason to believe that when the dust settles, that is to say when the Sheriff gets over the shock of my departure and calms down, that he will offer you my job.

Don't do it.

Don't even think about it.

Leave the Castle.

You are not sworn to the Sheriff, you owe him nothing.

You can believe me when I tell you it is best to keep it that way.

Be careful.

Guy of Gisborne