Chapter 33

XXXIII

Dear Isabella,

I hope this letter finds you and finds you well.

I know it must be a shock to receive word from me after all this time.

You should know that as terrible a brother as I have been to you, I have never forgotten you, or what I did to you, for which I am more sorry than I can say.

You may recall that all those years ago, I entered the service of Lord Vaisey. I shall spare you the details of that man, all that he has done and made me do in his service but he is the reason that I have never made contact before. I do not know how it is for you in your life or your marriage but I know for certain that any connection to Lord Vaisey would not have made it any better for you.

I left his service last year and in doing so broke my oath, which is why this letter has made the journey to you from France – it was not possible for me to remain in England.

I did not return to our mother's home or family, I knew better than to expect anything there. No, I live in a village on the northwest coast with my wife. We don't have any land or money as such but we live here happily, peacefully and amongst friends.

I hope to return someday to the Gisborne lands but am not sure if it will ever happen.

Perhaps someday the time will be right and I can finally claim them.

If not I, then my child - for there shall soon be another Gisborne in the world - the lands will hopefully still be there for them.

I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me Isabella but I can understand it if you cannot.

I shall say a prayer for you and hope that we shall meet again someday.

I leave it in God's hands.

Guy of Gisborne