Chapter 32

XXXII

Mary Smith was not really one for romantic stories, she was getting on now - no spring chicken anymore thank you very much. Romantic stories of Knights and the like were for young girls with too much time on their hands.

After all, who'd get the washing done if she was busy with all that sort of nonsense?

Still, she supposed she couldn't blame Mina for it really; when it came to romantic stories, Mina's was a pretty good one.

On Mina's suggestion, the two women had left Castlebrook. Mary had not been keen on the idea but Mina's arguments were solid. Mary had been saddened by all that had taken place in Clun and could not deny that when one considered all that the Sheriff had done over the years, it would be unwise not to take the opportunity to leave that had presented itself to them.

Fortunately, Mina had an idea as to where they could go.

That is how they'd ended up in Lemby.

Mina had remembered the name of the village where her mother had grown up; she had always longed to see it based on her father's description of it:

'A pretty village, in a quiet corner of the north east coast, with quaint houses and a beach full of pebbles...'

It was one of those pebbles that her mother had held on to as a keepsake of her childhood.

It was that pebble that was passed on to Mina by her father.

Mina then went on to give that pebble to Guy and then all these years later he'd returned it to her.

Just as Mina had always wanted to return to Castlebrook - the place of her childhood, she had also wanted to visit the place of her mother's childhood. In deciding to leave Castlebrook, she had also decided to go to Lemby.

It proved to be a good choice for she was fortunate to find some people there who had known her mother and they in turn were able to help herself and Mary with lodgings and finding work.

And so it was, that just as Mary Smith thought that things would quieten down in their lives, that her good friend would finally have time to help her with the various jobs they had to do and stop wasting time busying herself with romantic nonsense, that of course Guy of Gisborne showed up.

Mary grinned like a Cheshire cat upon seeing him.

He returned the grin but then couldn't resist a smirk as he said;

"I'm sorry Mary - you'll be getting stuck with all the washing again today."

"I know."