Chapter 29

XXIX

That Sheriff Vaisey left most of the dirty work to his second in command was not something that Guy had ever been thankful for. On this day however, it was a blessing for it allowed him to put good distance between himself and all he was leaving behind before the Sheriff noticed he was gone.

It was not only fortunate for him.

Thornton knew that it was only a matter of time before the Sheriff descended on Locksley looking for his Lieutenant and so he was most eager to find Robin, Marian and Allan before his Lordship did so.

He was not only lucky that the Sheriff was busy elsewhere, still blissfully none the wiser, he was also incredibly fortunate that the three people he needed to find just happened to be in the forest that morning. And although he didn't know the location of Robin's camp, it was not long before he stumbled upon a man who did - Allan a Dale.

Gisborne's sidekick was with the Sheriff's guards, reclaiming the supplies that had been stolen by Robin from the mercenaries' convoy, as Thornton approached him. Needless to say, he did not in a million years expect what Thornton had come to tell him.

He was at first disbelieving, the Master of Arms he knew, would never abandon his post; he was far too loyal to the Sheriff. Allan had not been long in his employ but he had seen enough to know that whatever Vaisey demanded, Guy delivered, often at great personal cost to himself. However as Thornton handed over the letter, it left him in no doubt; it bore Gisborne's seal, and he recognised the handwriting.

You are a shrewd man Allan, and I have reason to believe that when the dust settles, that is to say when the Sheriff gets over the shock of my departure and calms down, that he will offer you my job.

Don't do it.

Don't even think about it.

Leave the Castle.

Allan was normally a man who could take pretty much anything in his stride but this knocked him for six. He would have continued standing there trying to get his head around this new development were it not for Thornton, who reminded him that he was not the only person Gisborne wished to inform of his departure before the Sheriff got wind of it. Allan, to his credit, understood immediately and despite knowing he would not be welcome at the outlaws camp, made his excuses to the guards and took his leave to show Thornton the way.

Marian of Knighton and Robin of Locksley were most surprised to find Thornton and Allan walking in the direction of the camp. Marian had been spying on Allan earlier, as he had discovered the supplies at the food store and she had met with Robin to inform him of this new development. Both were instantly suspicious of the Sheriff's man but the sight of Thornton stopped them from taking any aggressive action - the manservant had known Robin since he was a boy and would never do anything to harm him or Marian.

It was with a strange feeling then, that Robin approached the two men and for a brief moment, he did wonder if their presence there could have something to do with Gisborne; Allan was Gisborne's second and Thornton was Gisborne's servant at Locksley – little did he know just how right was on that score.

*****

Marian had never felt so close to Guy as she did upon reading his letter.

For there in the letter was the man that she had sometimes caught a glimpse of, the man that she had cared for.

I wish we could have met at a different time, in a different place and under different circumstances, perhaps then I could have become a kinder, braver and better man – a man worthy of you.

He didn't know how right he was.

She had always believed it.

At least now, I can finally see that with the way things are, it will never happen.

The only kindness I can now grant you is the one you asked me for, the one I should have granted you a long time ago – I shall leave you be.

As she read these words, she'd had to turn her back to hide her tears from the others, overwhelmed by her own emotions.

How often had she cursed him? How long had she wished to be free of him?

Now he was gone. He had granted her wish.

She felt terrible.

She had never stopped to consider if her words could hurt him. She had never wondered if her treatment of him could cause him pain. She had never thought that he would think about the man he was or the things that he did.

She felt like curling up into a ball and weeping.

Here he was, on the page - the kind, brave man she had wanted. The man who had always been there but hidden beneath the man he'd had to be to live his life.

I now leave this place. You have nothing more to fear from me.

She slowly lowered herself to sit down upon the forest floor. Luckily, the others were too caught up in their own thoughts and feelings on the subject to notice her reaction. She pulled her knees up, hugging them to her chest, and tried to slow her breathing to stop herself from breaking down into tears.

*****

Robin thought that it had to be a trick.

He had read the note from Gisborne several times but still could not believe it.

His first thoughts were that Gisborne had somehow forced Thornton to get Allan to lead him to the camp - Thornton would be the last person Robin would suspect of doing him harm. Thornton protested loudly, telling Robin that if that was the plan then it had failed for they were not even at the camp – he couldn't give away something he did not know and if he did not learn of the location so long as he lived, so much the better. He then continued by telling Hood that if he did not believe him he could go to Locksley and see for himself for all he cared.

Robin thought that going to Locksley was a part of the trap; he figured that this was what Gisborne wanted him to do – why else would he have mentioned his remaining possessions there? But although these were his feelings, he could still not resist taking Thornton up on the offer.