Chapter 25: The Last Chorus

Your P.O.V.
Memories are what make life...life. If there weren't any memories there wouldn't be a life to live. You were reflecting on this today because tomorrow would be the day that everyone would come together and share their best memories at dinner. J'onn, Alex, James, Brainy, Nia, Lena, and of course, you, Kara and Jeremiah. The table was set and now came the hardest part: inviting Bruce over. He had been a bit more... gloomy.....these past few months. He wished to see no one and wished to talk to no one. But you headed over to Gotham today, the day before the dinner, to see if he could come over. J'onn watched over Jeremiah, who was sleeping normally now, as you were almost in Gotham. When you arrived you saw a clown right in front of you. The clown offered you a pie and you refused, knowing full well that it was a prank pie. However the clown had a gun in his hand and was laughing maniacally. He said "Last person to kidnap for the day, then Batman will have no choice but to - DOH!" He was then knocked out by Bruce, in his Batman costume, he said "No one kidnaps you (F/N). Not on my watch." you chuckled and said "Good to see you too Batman."

After you two were at a considerable distance to say each other's real names, you started to talk about dinner. You said "Kara and I would really appreciate it if you could come over for dinner tomorrow. You could have a little break from crime fighting to see some friends." Bruce just kneeled down, brooding. You said "Bruce for the love of God what has got you so miserable?" "I have to be. Criminals always have something to fear and I intend to be that fear." You sighed and said "Bruce, take it from a (guy/gal) who used to fear someone else forced to live inside them, being fear itself is something that can scar you. It changes you." "I'm willing to take that change." You looked at him and said "Even if it means sacrificing your humanity? Your friends?" Bruce turned away and you said "Dinner is tomorrow. If you can put on a happy face as you did in high school then by God do it. If you can't, don't expect to hear from me soon." and you walked away.

You arrived back in National City very shortly after that conversation with Bruce. J'onn was tucking Jeremiah in as he saw you. He said, quietly, "Jeremiah's asleep. He really likes slow songs." "I've noticed that with him." you responded quietly. J'onn said "I have to head out, got a lead with our new case." "Nice. You gonna catch the Cold Killer?" "Maybe. See you at dinner tomorrow (F/N)." J'onn concluded as he walked out the door. You decided to rest for a bit until Kara got home.

Timeskip
You were asleep when you smelt the food Kara was cooking. You didn't realize that you slept for nearly 11 hours. Sleep hasn't exactly been easy with Jeremiah, your work and with visiting Bruce yesterday it took a toll on you. It was relaxing but dinner was soon. You quickly got up and Kara said "Good morning babe. How was your sleep?" "Long. What time is it?" "It's only 11 am." "And dinner's at 4:30." Kara stopped her cooking and sat down next to you, she said "It's okay. How bout this, get dressed and after dinner I'll help you get undressed. Sound good?" she leaned in and kissed you. It was a mesmerizing kiss, it was still as good as the first time you kissed. The kiss broke as soon as you heard Jeremiah, you said "I'll see what's up." "Thank you." she gave you a quick kiss and went back to cooking.

Timeskip to 3:30 pm
The table was set and you saw J'onn and Alex come in as you were playing with Jeremiah. Kara was still getting changed as you greeted them in. Jeremiah was crawling around near the TV as you and J'onn talked on the couch and while Alex helped Kara with what she should wear. You and J'onn were talking about the case, he said "The killer is unlike any I've seen." "Let's try not to use the K word around Jeremiah, he's still young J'onn." "Right, sorry. Anyway, he uses weapons that only are generated from ice." You arched your back and said "So he or she is basically a cryomancer." "Exactly." J'onn said. As you two continued to talk Kara and Alex walked out and you saw Kara wearing the most beautiful dress.

(Best image I could find, sorry if it has crappy resolution)You were speechless, you didn't even know she had that dress

You were speechless, you didn't even know she had that dress. As soon as she came out, Brainy, Nia, Lena, and James entered. That meant everyone but Bruce was here. You all greeted them in as Jeremiah managed to climb up on the couch and onto your lap to rest. As it was almost 4:30, Kara noticed that dinner was ready. She set the table with her super speed and you all sat down. With one spot empty you were almost tempted to remove the chair. That is until you heard a knock on the door. You told Kara "I'll get it." and you headed to the door. You peered through and saw Bruce.

You opened the door and he asked "Am I late?" "Right on time. Come in." You said as you motioned him to enter. You closed the door and he sat down at the empty chair, you followed suit sitting in your chair. Dinner began and while everyone ate, everyone talked about their memories. It was the main reason everyone was brought here. Kara was recalling her first case with helping a friend, Bruce was recalling some of the high school memories with you, Lena was recalling her best times with James (outside the bed), and J'onn was recalling his time at the DEO with Alex. As the conversations died down you clinked your glass and stood up. You said "I'm glad that I could get to be with an... amazing family. So, here's to memories we had, and memories to make." and everyone held their glasses high and cheered. Jeremiah was even making the motions of cheering with his hands. All in all, the dinner went great.

After dinner ended and only two people stayed to chat. J'onn had to go due to the case, James and Lena headed home due to a phone call from a family member being sick, and Brainy had to leave before he got drunk off of tequila. Nia helped him out with that. Alex and Bruce stayed to chat with Kara and you respectively. Bruce approached you while you were looking out the window, you said "Thank you. For, you know, coming along." "You were right, I needed to know the limits of what I was doing. I even found someone to train." "Well, whoever he or she is, I feel pity for having to put up with the stench of that cave." Bruce laughed and said "You should meet him soon. He might like you." "I'll visit Gotham when I have the chance. Deal?" "Deal." Bruce said, shaking your hand. He left and said "You did good (F/N), better than me." "You always do something good. It all depends on perspective." you said as he left the apartment. Alex followed suit when she heard the music on the radio. It was playing slow songs all throughout dinner and this one meant something, it was Disturbed's Hold on to Memories.

Kara approached you as Alex closed the door, she said "Now my hero. Shall I fulfill my promise?" "Yes you may my love." you said as you both kissed. Jeremiah was asleep in his room while you and Kara went into your room. This family was more than a memory...much, much more.

A/N: And here it is, the final chapter. Three things: 1) Make sure to vote for the next book in my conversations, not here, because the poll will be going down in one week. 2) I was hoping to put this song in but I couldn't find the right chapter so I'll put it after the A/N. 3) Make sure you have a very great day/night. :)