~Chapter 11~

Alex stops at the side of the sidewalk, parking his car next to my papa’s. He turns to me, a smirk on his face. “So…” he drags the word, as if waiting for me to interject. But I ignore him, deciding to busy myself.

I unstrap my seatbelt and grab my backpack from the rear seat. I jump as Alex clears his throat. I turn to him, but he just smiles. “What?”

He doesn’t say anything, just stare back at me. He yanks my arm, my body flying dangerously close to his. I yelp in shock but don’t object, instead I unknowingly play his little game. For the second time today, I am face-to-face with Alex, to the point that a slight movement would result into our lips crashing into each other.

Something finally dawns on me and I realize that Alex was- slowly but surely- leaning in!

I sat frozen in that moment, I didn't know what to do. Or what was really going on to begin with.

If I didn’t move, in the next two point six seconds, I would-

“Ah, fuck. I'm sorry. I- I ah, umm,” Alex retreats in his seat at a rapid speed. He scratches the back of his neck nervously.

This was the second time he acted nervous around me.

Did he not like me?

Alex looks down at the steering wheel, then back up at me. He shoots me an embarrassed-filled smile. “We should probably get g- going.”

I nod, trying to erase what was just about to happen seconds ago.

As we approach my house, Alex turns to me and pulls me into his arms. He hugs me tightly and snuggles his nose into my hair. “Why are you so quiet? Di-”

I chuckle, raising my head to look up at him. He gently presses his lips to my forehead.

“I’m fine, just thinking about-”

“Me again?” He says smugly.

I politely tell him ‘no', “It’s Antony, I’m worried t-”

Alex rolls his eyes, bringing his index finger to my lips. “It's fine.” He runs his finger through my hair. “It’s all gonna work out.”

Surprisingly, it calms me. “C’mon, let's get you through that window.”

He grabs my hand and pulls me over to the side of my room. Alex and I stare up at my window, it wasn't too far off the ground, but it was near my dresser. And with one slip of my foot entering, everything would clatter to the floor, waking everyone.

But I didn’t tell Alex.

“So you’re gonna climb on my shoulder, and I’ll push you up with my hands, got it?”

I nod my head, “yes, Sir!”

He smiles at me, “okay, just watch your step.” Alex squats down and I nod once more, taking my first step onto his shoulder.

With both of my feet on his shoulder, he stands to his full height and I wobble a bit, a loud yap escaping my mouth.

“You’ll be fine babe.”

I blush at the pet name, but don't say anything.

“Are you almost there?”

I nod my head.

“Ginger?”

Oh!

“Yes, yes Sir- Alex. Almost there, just a little bit higher. Yes! I’m here!”

I grab onto the window seal and haul my way into my room.

I let out a sigh of relief as my feet quietly touch the floor of my room.

“Hey! How’s it up there?”

I spin around and peer out my window.

“Thanks Alex!”

He gives me two thumbs up, “bye Ginger! I expect to see you at school later.”

I nod, smiling from ear to ear.

“Okay, get some sleep now.”

I wave, watching him walk off and entering his car. I don't leave the frame of that window until I lose sight of his car.

I sigh, averting my eyes to the moon. I grin as I thought about Alex being my first friend.

Maybe someday he’d become my best friend!