Chapter 15

Audrey pushed thoughts and memories of James that kept floating to the front of her mind away, knowing they would eventually find their way back. She sighed not looking forward to the next day's run, when her thoughts had the tendency to mimic her feet and run free. She pushed that thought away also as she walked up the path to the pool area. She looked up when a side door opened and Edwards walked out.

"Ms. Wood do you have a moment, Mr. Astor would like a word?" Edwards said.

"Sure."

Edwards didn't say anything else, simply turned back into the house with Audrey tailing him. They passed through the library and across the entryway to Mr. Astor's study, which was just enough time for Audrey to feel her stomach drop and regain her composure.

"Audrey, please sit. That will be all Edwards."

Audrey took a seat across the desk, the chair's soft leather forming itself to her as she sat.

"I want to just check up and see how everything is going? Charlotte still behaving?" Mr. Astor smiled at the last comment and Audrey relaxed a little.

"Everything is going well and Charlotte is energetic but still behaving."

"Great, nothing new I should be worrying about."

"Nothing at the current moment."

"Excellent. Well then before you go I have one last question. You know it's Lilly's birthday in two weeks, her sixteenth."

"Yes, sir I am aware of this."

"Besides the car, Jennifer and I wanted to do something special for her, I know you talk to her, I didn't know if you could think of something she might like?"

"The thing that jumps out to me is taking her to a performance or concert of some kind, she's really into Sebastian Colfax and I think it's Knox Hamilton at the moment."

"She likes these bands?"

"Their solo artist but yes, in her words loves them and would die without them."

"Really?"

"Yes, sir."

"I'll make something happen."

"Is there anything else you need from me?" Audrey asked, hesitating to get up.

"No, that was all, thank you."

"Thank you, sir."

Audrey left the study and moved across the entryway, her steps echoing around her.

"Audy!"

Audrey looked up to the second story and saw Lilly waving to her.

"Lils how's it going?" Audrey called up to her.

Lilly hurried down the staircase and jumped the last step in front of Audrey.

"Hi!"

"Hello." Audrey said, a smile wide on her lips.

"What are you up to?"

"Charlotte's out in the pool with Declan and Paul so I was planning on joining her."

"Yeah because those two guys are really threatening." Lilly said sarcastically.

"They're not but hey you never know, someone Charlotte knows might turn out to be a spy."

Lilly laughed.

"I can assure you it's neither of them, I've seen them try to sneak out of the house and they are terrible, they always use the same route."