Chapter 27

Audrey shifted in front of the mirror, double checking that her knife holsters when completely hidden under her dress. She had decided to go with a red dress for the night, knowing it should be believe able that someone who was as rich as Lucas would decide to date her. She grabbed her purse from the bed and opened it, making sure she had everything before leaving her apartment.

On the way down the steps her phone dinged. The text message from an unknown number saying delivery in ten. Audrey moved in the direction of the stables. She had told Ethan she needed to move up the time that he would have the bracelets dropped off, not knowing what time she would be home that night.

Her heels clacked against the stable's floor as she walked around, checking to make sure it was clear. She pulled out a stool and sat down to wait. She looked back to the stable entrance when she heard footsteps, confused as to why Lucas was following her down there.

"Whoa!" Lucas said, when he caught sight of her.

"Why are you here?"

"Is that the way you treat all your rich and good looking boyfriends? I can see why you need Charlotte's help."

"Sorry, I wasn't expecting you. And there you go again making fun of me."

"I'm waiting for the moment when you loosen up and just go with it. Who were you expecting?"

"A delivery man."

"What?"

"Shhh."

Audrey placed her finger on Lucas's lips, stopping his next question. Footsteps were heard and Audrey made a split second decision. She moved her finger away and started kissing Lucas, her ears still focusing on the footsteps, trying to determine if they were Peter's or the person dropping off the bracelets. She heard a cough and broke away from Lucas. Turning, she saw a young man disguised as a delivery man.

"Hi Matt, is that from Ethan." Audrey said, walking away from Lucas and towards Matt.

Matt coughed again, holding back a grin.

"Stop grinning, I wasn't sure if it was you or Peter." Audrey said.

"Of course. Here you go. Ethan says to call him if there is anything that doesn't work or if it needs to be at all different." Matt said, handing her two small boxes.

"Right, knowing Ethan's work I'm pretty sure nothing's going to be wrong with it. Thanks."

"Of course."

Matt walked away and Audrey pulled open one of the boxes. In it was a small tan woven bracelet that matched the design she had seen on Ethan's computer. Under the bracelet was a small tag with Charlotte's name on it, the other box held her bracelet and instructions on how to use it.

"Are you going to give me an explanation?" Lucas asked, walking over to her.

"Oh, sure. This bracelet holds a tracker in it and it's for Charlotte. This one is mine and it collects all the data. It also can hook up to a phone or computer so I can always know where she is."

"Cute, but I meant about the kiss."

"That's simple, I wasn't sure if it was Peter coming into the stables or Matt so I decided to save the cover by having a reasonable explanation as to why we would be in here." Audrey said, her tone indifferent.

"Okay, as along as you don't think that just because our cover is boyfriend and girlfriend you can kiss me whenever you want."

"Please, don't flatter yourself." Audrey said.

She turned and walked out of the stables, slipping the bracelet onto her wrist as she went. She tossed the boxes into her staircase and found a group forming on the front porch when she got there. Liddy had attached herself to Lucas's arm and Audrey felt a twinge of annoyance, she ignored it though and went inside to find Charlotte.