Chapter 21

Audrey punched in the garage code and ducked low to get under it, by the time it was fully open she had opened the back gate, found her spare jacket and grabbed her helmet and gloves.

Her brain didn't process anything, it's only thought was to follow that car and take care of Charlotte. She grabbed a gun and holster from behind one of the workstations, strapping it to her ankle. She pushed her bike out and started it, throwing on her helmet and gloves before zooming off behind the garage and down the second driveway.

The roads were empty and she sped down them, taking curves faster than she normally would, her brain repeating the license plate number. As she neared the freeway entrance she spotted the car getting on and sped up.

The rain had let up but the coldness of the night still hung on. She tailed the car moving to different lanes at times so they weren't aware of a tail. Now that the car was in sight Audrey's brain started moving, processing again, replaying what she had seen and analyzing it.

Charlotte hadn't looked hurt or as if she was taken against her will, but if she was with someone she knew then there would be no reason to doubt them. If it had been Lucas saying he was helping her sneak out to meet Paul then she would have easily gone with him. She hadn't been able to tell who it was, the hoody obscuring his frame. It could be Paul and he was taking her to a club but if Lucas was there and had helped planned it then everything was off.

Audrey's brain spit out theory after theory, each one worse than the one before. Her body fought of tiredness, knowing it should have been asleep hours ago. The car kept driving, Audrey following with military determination. She wasn't aware of the passing of time except that her body grew more tired and cold.

She was startled when they passed a sign saying they had just left Connecticut and were entering Massachusetts. After another hour the car pulled off into a gas station and Audrey followed.

The hooded figure got out and walked into the store, but before Audrey could get into a position to get Charlotte out or face the person, they had already come back out with coffee in hand. They climbed back into the car and drove off.

Audrey's adrenaline kicked in and she moved to keep following. The car didn't stop again until they had crossed the New Hampshire line and stopped at a wood cabin. The rain had come back in full force. Audrey stopped her bike on the edge of the road where she was covered by the trees.

She watched as someone got out of the driver's side and pulled their hoody down over their face. They then pulled an unconscious Charlotte out of the passenger's side and carried her into the cabin. Audrey felt her heart pounding and pulled her gun from its hostler.

She slipped out from behind the trees and moved closer to the house. All the blinds were closed and Audrey couldn't hear any voices, only the slight shuffling of footsteps. She ducked low under the windows and moved closer to the door. Reaching up she felt the doorknob turn under her hand. She slid to a standing up position. She breathed in and out calming herself and preparing to act. On three she pushed open the door and pulled her gun up. A scream escaped Paul's mouth and the sound roused Charlotte.

"Audrey!" Paul yelled, his hands flying into the air.

Audrey sighed, all the energy she had for a fight leaving her and the tiredness hitting her like a crashing building.

"Audrey." Charlotte said, her voice groggy.

"Audrey? What are you doing here? Why do you have a gun and what are you doing here?" Paul said, his voice confused, hands still raised.

"Paul but your hands down. Charlotte wake up."

Charlotte pushed herself up and looked at Audrey, her eyes conveying her guilt.