Chapter 32

Audrey focused on the cold metal floor beneath her hands. Charlotte was alone and there was nothing she could do about it. In that moment she felt despair and the hopeless feeling that she had failed Charlotte. The only reassuring fact was that Charlotte was still wearing the bracelet and that she would be found.

Once this thought had settled her uneasy feelings her thoughts moved on, to the fact that she didn't have a bracelet or a rich father. This was a fact that Audrey had been avoiding but now it sat hanging in the air in front of her. Once this was realized there was no reason for her to be kept alive. Her stomach jolted inside her and she forced herself to stay calm.

Her thoughts jumped to what her next move was. There were only four men watching her now and she had the element of surprise. She started to work out a plan of action in her head and was readying her body to fight when she paused, her thoughts falling to Charlotte.

What if she failed to take out all four men, would her actions cause Charlotte to be in danger. She couldn't be certain this would actually be the case but she couldn't say with confidence that it wouldn't be the case either; and if Charlotte was hurt because of her then she would have truly failed. Audrey knew that this meant she couldn't attack, not yet anyway. Not until she had some sign that Charlotte was safe.

Audrey was pulled back to the world around her when she heard the men talking in low voices. She ducked her head so her hair hid her face but also moved the hair away from her ear so she could hear more clearly. The men spoke rapidly and Audrey only picked up every fifth word, making the whole conversation intelligible. She kept listening though hoping she could get something from it.

Eventually they stopped talking and Audrey was left with a brunch of useless words. She slumped back against the wall of the van and hoped Charlotte was okay. The ride was a lot longer than the one before and Audrey had the feeling they were still moving north.

Audrey's body was numb from sitting for so long that by the time they finally got to their destination she could hardly move. The last portion of the journey had been rough and bumpy. The van stopped and the door was pulled open. A bag was again put over her head and she was pulled out of the van.

The air was heavy with the smell of trees and when Audrey's feet hit the ground she felt the hard unevenness of dirt. The walk was longer to the door and Audrey had the chance to hear the voices of a hundred birds twittering around her. Her heart sunk when she became aware of the lack of normal city noises. There were no cars or music and she had the feeling that where ever she was it was not an easy place to find.

Once she got in side she could feel that this house was different from the last, her shoes sinking into a plush carpet. She was guided down more hallways then she thought could be in a house and was finally taken up a flight of stairs and put into a bed room.

The bag came off and Audrey found her surroundings vastly different the basement. The room had a hotel feel, uniform and neat though, if it was a hotel it hadn't been used is awhile. On the dresser was a thick layer of dust and the bed's comforter was faded on one side. Audrey moved to the boarded up window and tested the strength of the nails. Unlike everything in the room they were brand new.

She moved over to the one chair in the room and took a seat, waiting for someone to ask her how to contact her supposedly rich father. She didn't have to wait long, after twenty minutes her room was unlocked and a man walked in. Audrey cringed and hugged her knees, averting her eyes from the new comer.

"You don't need to worry, I will not hurt you." The man said.

Audrey felt like rolling her eyes and she thought, yes and I won't kill you if you touch me. Instead she let out a small shake and shrunk away from the man even more.