Chapter 16

Audrey leaned against the fence that outlined the polo field, gripped with watching Paul as he made a move for the ball. The sun beat down on her back and she was grateful that her yellow dress was at least strapless. She fidgeted, the high heels Charlotte had told her to wear making her feet hurt trying to balance in them on the grass. Her hair fell braided over one shoulder and she wore a big floppy hat that reminded her of something a sixties movie star would have worn.

Paul swooped down and passed the ball to Micky, who had been waiting for it and Audrey gripped the side of the fence tighter as Micky moved to make a shot, her brain blocking out the chit chat that was going on behind. She almost screamed when Lucas tapped her arm, her muscles were so tight.

"Calm down, I was just going to say hi." Lucas said, when Audrey had jumped and squeaked.

"Sorry I just was so focused."

"I noticed, the fence looks like it took a beating from your grip."

Audrey plied her fingers off the fence and smiled weakly at Lucas.

"Where've you been?" Audrey asked.

"I just woke up half an hour ago and remembered the match today, so I hustled in the shower and came over as fast as I could."

"Glad you could make it."

"Want a drink?"

"Sure."

They moved back to the tents and Audrey sighed when they got under cover. They moved around a group of ladies dressed like Audrey except in various hues and a group of men dressed in slacks and bottom down shirts. Only half the people under the tents seemed interested in the game and the rest seemed completely unaware of it going on at all. Lucas grabbed two cups of lemonade and handed one to Audrey.

"Thanks."

"Anytime."

Audrey looked around, watching all the fluttering of words as they escaped into the air.

"So..." Lucas said.

"So?"

"Last night."

"You threw a great party. Everyone knows this because the sun was shining before we all got home, that's a good sign."

"Thanks. I'm glad you could come."

Audrey put her cup down on the table, she turned to Lucas and looked at him intensely. She took his hand and smiled.

"It's so good to have a boyfriend now." She said in an annoyingly high pitched voice.

Lucas froze and Audrey laughed, letting go of his hand.

"Don't worry I'm not one of those girls who thinks that just because we kissed means your my boyfriend."

Lucas let go of his breath.

"Good cause you were the one that initiated it."

"Yes but you were the one that finished it."

"Barely."

"I went 90 and you went 10, so it's all on you, you could have left me hanging."

"Cause what guy leaves a beautiful blonde hanging when she's inches away from him?"

"You think I'm beautiful?"

"Yes."

"I take a offense that you called me blonde."

Lucas laughed.

"But you are."

"That's not the point."