Chapter 18

"What did you do last night?" Charlotte asked.

She sat perched on a stool inside Kennedy's stall. The late morning air was heavy with moisture and smelled of an on coming storm.

"Oh you know, the usual. The servants and I had a ruckus party in my apartment and then I fell into an unconscious sleep when Max beat me at how many shots can you take in a minute." Audrey said.

She hoisted the saddle over Kennedy's back and moved to adjusting and tightening the straps.

"Audrey." Charlotte said, annoyed.

"I went to sleep, what else was I suppose to do. Also you should know that I would totally beat Max at that game, though he is 78 and a gardener so I'm not sure there's much competition. Unless he used to be a sailor and in that case he could probably beat me."

"So you did do something last night, I knew it." Charlotte said, triumphantly.

"What makes you say that?"

Audrey turned back to the saddle, hoping Charlotte hadn't seen anything in her face that gave her away.

"You babble when you want to avoid a topic. What did you do?"

"I do not babble."

"Sure you don't, now what did you do? I saw Lucas walking you to your apartment. You kiss?"

"I will neither confirm or deny that statement, though I will say I might need you to stay in one of these nights." Audrey said.

Charlotte squealed, jumped up from her stool and hugged Audrey.

"Yay! I'm so happy for you. You can take every night if you want."

"Thanks but I'll only need one. Now let's get going."

"Okay but you need to tell me everything."

"Please, a lady doesn't kiss and tell."

"I wouldn't call you a lady, so you can tell me everything."

"Fine." Audrey grumbled.

Audrey guided Kennedy out into the center of the stable, holding him while Charlotte climbed up. The day was over cast and the clouds that hung over the water were threatening to burst. Audrey joined Charlotte on Lincoln and they moved out to the water. Their pace was peaceful, the horses hooves quiet in the sand.

Last night after bagging Lucas's hair Audrey had called Ethan.

"You got the DNA already? Ethan had said when Audrey told him.

"I'm offended that you think it would have taken longer. I've been here awhile but I haven't lost my touch yet."

"Apparently not. Well I'll send someone out to meet you tomorrow night around 1 to pick it up. Finally we'll know for sure."

"Yeah and then I can relax or shoot him."

"Funny."

"I wasn't joking."

"Audrey you can't just shoot him."

"It would make everything easier."

"Audrey!"

"Okay, okay no shooting Lucas. Fine I'll just have to drag him into the office and torture him."

"You need a new job." Ethan said.

"Whose's the softy now? Huh?"

"Oh I see, trying to be the BA soldier. Well, you should know it doesn't suit you."