mom, i'm so sorry

jayncrt on tumblr
(mom, i'm so sorry for forgetting what you taught me. MY SON)

dadvid's pov

max had fallen asleep on the car ride over. i decided to let him sleep. i slowly unbuckled his seatbelt and gently picked him up. i started to carry him inside.

3rd person
max's nightmare & flashback

max walked up the stairs from the basement. he was only 4 at the time. he hadn't been fed in days and was starving. he was trying to sneak into the kitchen to get some food.

he got up the stairs and opened the door as quietly as possible. he hadn't seen the light of day in days. it was almost blinding seeing the bright lights on upstairs. he looked at the clock hanging over the kitchen counter. it was dark out and read 1:27. so it was 1:27 am. he looked around to make sure the coast was clear. he darted through the living room and into the kitchen. he grabbed whatever his tiny hands could from the cupboards and ran back down the stairs.

max had just done his best to hide his prizes in the dark, cold basement when he heard yelling upstairs.

(3rd person but what's going on upstairs)

"NO, LEAVE HIM ALONE." max's mom yelled as she latched onto her husbands ankles. he kicked her off and she fell down the stairs. his dad made his way down the stairs after kicking her down. he was going to the basement. "MAXWELL. GET YOUR ASS UP HERE RIGHT NOW." he shouted as he walked over to the door leading down. max stayed put, afraid of what might happen to him.

max's mom limped over to her husband as fast as she could. she lunged her entire body weight onto him. "MAX, JUST STAY DOWN THERE HONEY. MAMA'S GONNA TAKE CARE OF THIS." she yelled down, for her only son to hear.

max ran up the stairs towards the sound of her voice. he cracked open the door.

"GET OFF ME YOU OLD HAG." his dad yelled as he pushed max's mom off of him. he punched her in the face. max's mom fell to the ground.

"DONT HURT MOMMY." little max cried. he ran up to his father and kicked him in the groin. his dad hunched over in pain.
max ran over to his unconscious mother and tried his best to move her out the door. but he failed.

max's dad grabbed a beer bottle nearby and smashed it over max's head. as his vision got darker, he saw his dad pick up his mom by her shirt collar and toss her into the wall. he tried to call out, but he couldn't.

david's pov

max started to squirm and mumble in his sleep. then he yelled,  "NO, DONT HURT HER. MOM."
i didn't know what to do, so i decided to get him inside, then wake him up.
as i rushed inside, max squirmed around more, flailing his arms around. he started screaming and crying in his sleep.
"get up, mom. please."

this poor kid.. i have to help him.

521 words