aftermath

max's pov

after Adams surgery, they put him in the same room as me. they said that he was stable and would most likely be waking up soon. i was so glad he was okay. i don't know what i would do without him.

katy and i sat in the room catching up on all the time i lost. i had finally kinda recovered my voice, so we could actually talk. i still sounded like a 50 year old smoker named Vlad though. katy told me about herself and what she knew about me. she reminded me a lot of david. we were talking about music and playing instruments when i heard a groan. i still couldn't move, so katy pulled the curtain dividing the room in half.

"ADAM!" i shouted.
"ah shut up. my head hurts." he groaned out. katy lunged onto him.
"adam i'm so glad your okay!!"
"ah fuck!"
"oh heck i'm so sorry." she immediately hopped off of him.
he looked around confused for a second, and then made eye contact with me. he blinked a bit.
"max?"
i smiled. "hey, adam."
"MAX!" he lunged up, immediately regretting it and laying back down.
"ah don't hurt yourself you dumbass." i shouted.
"what? when? how-"
"i just woke up last night, when you were in surgery. you fucked yourself up pretty fucking badly."

katy all of a sudden looked a bit mad.
"why would you do that to me?!" she yelled.
adam looked stunned. "w-what?"
"why would you do that..." her eyes grew glassy as though she was holding back tears.
"i-im sorry. i just... i couldn't handle it anymore." he said quietly.
"promise... you won't do it. just-just like call me. just don't fucking do it. ever again." katy said.
both adam and i were taken aback. we had never heard her swear before.
"i promise." he said.

adam looked at me.
"look max-"
"shut up you idiot." i said smiling at him "i'm just glad you're okay. don't leave me again."
he laughed "you fucking hypocrite."

katy sighed "UGH WHEN ARE YOU TWO JUST GONNA KISS."
adam, katy, and i all burst out into laughter.

"what's so funny in here?" gwen said, coming into the room. she opened the door and let david and pauline in too.
"adam, you're awake!" pauline said.
we all smiled and got caught up. david told me what happened, what was gonna happen next and how long i was out.

the weird thing is, i remember a bit of when i was in a coma. i only remember my parents and a movie screen. it felt like i knew what he was gonna tell me about, even though i wasn't even awake. it was like... i watching it... but not there. it was really strange. i sat there and listened to what david, pauline, and gwen all had to say. they told me everything. even how i... died?

i remember a sharp pain in my chest and then just... waking up. i.. i don't understand it, but i guess that's just how it is.

pauline and gwen had to leave later on. gwen was heading to work, and pauline went to go take care of her animals. that just left katy, david, adam and i.

we all talked all night long. it was nice talking to all of them. for some reason i felt... lonely. i felt a lot better talking to all of them. they made me feel... safe.

ha... safe.

i'm safe.
i'm okay.
i'm alive.

i never thought i'd make it this far.

i realized this while listening to the three of them talking. i looked at them and smiled. i could feel a tear trickle down my face.

they all looked at me.
"max, are you okay?!" david said. he seemed panicked.
i didn't bother wiping my face off. i smiled.
"yeah. i'm just... actually happy."

653 words