he's just a boy

credit to MAYOR OWLY (or OWIY?? idk i can't read the creds on the pic)

david's pov

it had been a few weeks after we were sent the letter from max's 'dad.'
both max and i had finally calmed down about it. honestly, i hoped he was sent to prison. doesn't matter what over, just that he was gone and off the streets. that's what would be safest for max.

the school year was starting soon and i decided to enroll max. today, we were going back to school shopping to get him some new clothes and school supplies. i was excited to finally get him some stuff.

then we finally got back home after a long day of shopping... only to find the house ransacked.

furniture was turned over, papers were scattered everywhere. the pictures on the wall were all torn down.
that wasn't even the worst of it though.
my room was like the rest of the house. messed up, but nothing severely damaged.
then we got to max's room.

all of the pictures of us in there were destroyed. there was a hole punched through max's door.

and then he saw it.

max's pov

i walked into my room and noticed all of the damage. as i looked around, i saw him.

mr. honeynuts was torn apart by the ligaments.

i grabbed all of the pieces of him and looked at david, tears stinging my eyes.
"we can fix him, right?"
david looked at me and looked at the bear.
"i'll see what we can do." he said quietly.
i knew he couldn't be saved, but we had to try. mr. honeynuts was all i had left of my mother, besides my blue sweatshirt. but he was special.

i clutched the pieces of my bear and looked around my room, tears streaming down my face.
"why won't he just leave me alone!" i shouted.
i ran outside the house and sat on the porch steps, crying. david came out behind me and sat down. he wrapped me into a hug and i just sat there in his arms. while we were sitting there, david called the police, telling them what happened.

we ended up leaving and staying the night at gwen's house, just to be safe.

why won't he just leave me alone?

386 words