A New Start (Chapter 6)

He couldn't afford to lose you.
That sentence replayed like a broken record.
Over.
And over.
And over.
And over.

"That's a strong set of words, Ralph.."
You looked at him. His LED was blinking green for a moment. Was he happy? Did he not say the full truth?
You didn't know and were too embarrassed to ask.
But somehow you asked anyway.
"What do you mean by that Ralph..?"

"I.." he looked away and focused on something else in the room.
"Ralph would like to pretend he never said that.."

"ShshshsshshhHSHSHSSH-" You shushed him frantically.
"But-" you knew things in his head were not right. So you just let it go. He would obviously say things that he did not mean to say. But you refused to believe that he did not mean what he said.

"Say, how about we go outside for a bit?" You insisted.
"No. NO. Anything but that.." he shivered.
"We do not even have to cross the fence, Ralph." You said in a dull manner.
"Then why would we go outside if there's nothing to see..?" He tilted his head, clueless.
"Just to keep a grasp on the world instead of being cooped up in this dump." You reasoned softly.
"Okay.. Ralph trusts you." He twitched his upper lip.
"The humans will not hurt Ralph, will they?" He said in a worried and scarred tone.
"Not on my watch, just trust me." You stood up and held out your hand. He hesitantly took it, you barely managing to pull his metal body up off of the floor. You both headed for the front door. It was still dark outside. Very early in the morning, but people on their way to work were filling the streets. Ralph followed your every move, staying close to you. Until a couple caught his eye. They were kissing.
"What are they doing..?" Ralph asked. This almost made you snicker.
"They're kissing, Ralph. People do it when they love each other."

"Oh.." Ralph's LED flashed yellow and blue, making you immediately aware that he was thinking of something. "Are you okay?" You looked up at him. "Yes, Yes, Ralph is fine.." he blinked once or twice.
"Are you suuuuure?" You gave him a chance to fess up. "Of course." He shrugged his shoulders defensively.
"Whatever you say.." you brushed his weird behavior off as if it was nothing.
"Y/N?" He looked at you.
"Yes?" You looked back up at him.
"... Nevermind.." he looked down again.

[Timeskip: a few weeks later]
You sold your house and earned about 25K bucks for it.
You had transferred your car over to Ralph's house, stocked your furniture, and even purchased a cat with heterochromia. Like Ralph did.
You and Ralph decided to name her.. Lynx.
You had fixed up Ralph's dump he called a home. You even added a place for him to put a garden when the winter ended. A working stove, an oven, a fridge, etc.
Ralph liked it. At this point you were painting the livingroom. It was a dark green. Accompanied by brown and gold furniture to unintentionally match up with Ralph's signature colors.
You had gotten Ralph's face all fixed up, and his hands replaced. Since he was such an older model, it wasn't too expensive to get the parts. Along the trip, you got him some human clothes. Although, not too different from his original uniform. A green turtleneck, with a pair of black jeans, and his original boots because he didn't want new shoes. He'd simply soil them.

"Oh the bread and butterflies kiss the tulips, and the sun is like a toy balloon~" you sung as you continued sprucing up the house.
"There are get up in the morning glories, in the golden afternoon!~" you continued, forgetting that Ralph was still in the house. "Every dog and caterpillar and the copper centipede, where the lazy daisies love the very peaceful life..~ They lead..~" you spun around to your former blindspot. There stood Ralph, listening to you. "W-   Ralph didn't say stop.." he gave a confused look.
"..." You glared at him, now flustered. "You didn't hear that!" You tensed your shoulders. "RALPH IS SORRY!! HE DIDN'T MEAN TO MAKE Y/N UNCOMFORTABLE!" He was now flustered as well.
"it'S FINE-" Your voice cracked.
You played with your thumbs. "Could you help me move some furniture?" You looked at him, the blush on your face fading. Without saying anything, he nodded.
"Could you help me move the couch from here to against the back wal-" he was already done moving it.
":)" he blinked.
"W o w -" you couGHED.

He looked at the floor, a silence falling between you two. And simply an awkward meow from Lynx.

"Ralph are you oka-"

"Ralph doesn't know.." he twitched his upper lip.
"Come here.." you gestured him to come towards you. He hesitantly did as told.
You hugged him.
He stared down at you, silence filling the air.
He twitched a bit, and then,

He grabbed your chin, tilting it up towards his face, making you look at him.

He kissed you, then quickly zoomed off upstairs.