Chapter Sixteen | No Matter How Much

Gavin held his car door open for me, and shut it once I got in.

"Wow, you're actually being nice to me." I said once he climbed in.

"Well, if you haven't noticed, I've been a real asshole this past month. And I'm sorry. I wanted to make it up to you." He replied, driving out of the parking lot.

I smiled to myself, and looked out of the window; taking in everything around me.

*~*~*

I ordered my favorite coffee, and Gavin ordered a regular black.

How ironic.

We mainly made small-talk, until I decided to ask why he was always so... Well, rude.

"You've been treating everyone-- even Chris-- like crap ever since Connor started working with us. Why? You used to be so thoughtful.." I pondered on the past memories of him. He used to clean himself up really nice, and he used to actually buy gifts for everyone's birthday. Crazy, I know.

Two birthdays have passed in the office this month, and he didn't even take a second glance at them.

"I don't know.. It was bad enough androids were taking over the casual jobs, but now they're working as police, and firemen... They are everywhere.

"It also doesn't help seeing the way you look at him. "

I sent him a confused look, and tilted my head to the side.

"How.. do I look at him?" I asked hesitantly.

He shrugged his shoulders, and shook his head as he outlined the rim of his cup.

"I can't explain it. You look at him, the way I look at..... at nothing.." He kept his head down, and sulked over his coffee; allowing himself to let out a long sigh.

I lightly rested my hand upon his.

"Just because he's my partner, doesn't mean you have to be covetous. It doesn't change how I feel for you as a friend, Gavin." His cheeks were slightly red as he stared down at our hands.

"That's the problem. "As a friend." It seems like you.. like.. Connor as more than a friend. You like him more than a friend, and he can't even like you back! You like him more than a friend, and you've only known him a damn month.. I like you more than a friend, and I've known you for almost four years, Sam.

"I've tried my best to get you to feel the same, and I've tried my best to stop feeling this way.. But I can't.

"I guess I used Connor as an excuse to be a dick. I figured, if you loved him, I wouldn't have to ignore the feelings anymore. I could face the facts, and convince myself you would never love me... But when you accepted my offer... In all honesty, I didn't want you to. I was hoping you would say 'no', so I could show myself once and for all, this would never happen.

"Like stepping into reality; I had hoped it would finally be the end. I could finally rid myself of you; but I now know that I can't. I just have to accept it."

He never took his eyes away from our hands as he spoke.

I took a sip of my coffee, and stared at a stain on the table.

How do I fix this?

3rd POV

There was an awkward, yet comfortable silence between the duo as they sat at the table; each thinking about a love they may never acquire.

Of course, Samantha being Samantha, she wanted to liven up the mood.

"What a fun date!" She joked; pasting a halfway fake smile upon her face. Gavin smirked, and pulled his hand away.

"I know a way of making it better." He winked, and let go of the inner sadness for one small moment. Seeing Sam smile made him more than happy-- and he wanted to see that every second of everyday. But he knew he wouldn't be able to. She had Connor; and although they may never be able to be together, Gavin understood how much Connor meant to Samantha.. Because that's how much Sam meant to him.

"Oh, shut up Gav."

"What? I meant ordering some food! It is our lunch break, after all." He joked.

Samantha stuck her tongue out, and giggled as she looked behind Gavin, and toward the menu on the screen above the counter.

This may not be a bad date after all. She thought to herself. I might actually enjoy myself.

Connor's POV

Connor was on edge all day. When Samantha and Gavin came back after their lunch break, he seen Gavin's hand resting on the lower part of her back. Samantha didn't seem to mind, but Connor sure did.

When Samantha sat in her chair, Connor immediately started asking her questions.

He sat on her desk once again, and kindly questioned her about the... Date..

"Where did you guys go?"

"To my favorite cafe."

"What did you guys talk about?"

"Just the normal stuff. Nothing really."

"Did you kiss him?"

"What? Connor, no.. I only feel like kissing one person."

Connor felt a wave of relief flood over him as she answered. Only one person.. He thought. She hadn't kissed anyone else that he knew of, so hearing 'only one person' made him feel almost joyous.

"Why was his hand resting on your back as you guys walked in?"

"I don't know, Connor. Does it matter? I only have feelings for one person, and that's not Gavin. So it's alright, you don't need to worry--"

"Who do you have feelings for, then?" He interrupted; leaning a bit closer.

Samantha's breath was shaky, and she was once again playing with her hair tie.

"U-Um, it really doesn't matter, Connor.. L-Let's not talk about this.." Samantha stuttered as she spoke, and anxiously pulled at the small hair band.

"Sam, please. You told me if a human wanted, they could fall for an android. Are you falling for me?" He questioned assertively.

Truth-be-told, Connor wanted to know the characteristics of 'falling for someone.' He wanted to know not only because an abundant of humans felt it; but also because he wanted to make sure that's not what was happening to him.

No matter how much he craved Samantha's gorgeous eyes; as vibrant as the dahlia flower, and other times, as dim as dusk-- he knew it was wrong.

No matter how much he looked forward to seeing her slightly crooked smile; perfectly, yet hardly bent out of line-- he couldn't allow himself to enjoy it.

No matter how much he wanted to hear her laugh-- or simply just speak with her soothingly beautiful voice-- he knew he shouldn't be listening. He shouldn't be listening to all of the words that fluently leaked out of her mouth, and into a puddle he couldn't escape.

The way she made him feel should be illegal. He hated it, but he didn't want it to end.

"Am I falling for you..? It's too late for that now, Connor... I.."

A/N: Muahahahaha I'm not sorry

Also, I really enjoyed writing the end of this chapter :) I was gonna use a flower for the 'dim' part of her eyes as well, but I couldn't find a type of flower that was ALWAYS dark colored.

I also didn't use specific colors, because I want you guys to imagine your own characters. Some people may like knowing exactly what the character looks like, but I personally enjoy imagining my own person.

Feel free to comment how you imagine Samantha! I would love to know!!

Much love ♡♡