Chapter Thirty-eight | The Broken Door.

Sam’s POV

I watched as Connor grabbed on to one of the android’s arms, and their skin peeled away.

You should tell him.

Don’t tell me what to do.

You didn’t say that earlier.

Fine. I’ll tell him afterwards.

Will there be an afterwards?

I will give myself a concussion if you don’t shut up!

A few seconds later, Connor pulled his arm away, and all the androids were turning around and waking up all of those near them. I looked down at my right hand, and was extremely tempted to show him at that moment-- but we had way more important things to do.

“Alright, are we gonna go?” I questioned excitedly.

I’m going to go. You aren’t going anywhere.”

What?? Why not?!”

“Your ankle is twisted, and it’s not safe out there. You need to go to Hank’s or something. I would never forgive myself if you died on my terms!” He replied anxiously.

“But, Con! We’ve made it this far! I can’t back out now! If you won’t let me come with you, then I’ll just go by myself. I can’t stay home while all of this is happening! They’re my people, too, you know?!” I blurted out excessively. I knew I was acting out, but I also knew I could help! I wasn’t just a small human, I could do more than look up in order to talk to someone!!

“H-How are they yours, as well..? I know you’re hiding something, Sam… You can tell me, you know that, right..?” He asked cautiously.

I sighed out of desperation, and immediately pulled him in for a hug.

I can do more, Con…” I whimpered into his jacket. He rubbed my back, and kissed the top of my head.

“I know you can.. I’m just-- I’m scared, Sam. I don’t want to see you die.. I care way too much, and I can’t help it!”

I looked up into his eyes, then studied his face as if it were the last time I would see him. I gently set my hands on his cheeks, and pulled his face down; tenderly kissing his lips as he did mine.

His lips were warm, and for a split second, I forgot about the world. I forgot about the chaos, the heartaches, the pain.

But then I pulled away, and everything collapsed in again all at once.

“C-Can I show you one more thing before you leave..?” I asked shyly. He nodded and tilted his head as he continued to stare into my eyes. We were still less than a foot away-- he could probably feel the heat radiating off of me. “Alright, hold up your hand.” I ordered.

He lifted his hand up, and I did mine.

“What are you doing?” He questioned. I gently rested my right hand upon his left, and forced the skin away; watching as his cascaded off of mine, and faded away under his jacket.

He slightly gasped as he peered with wide eyes.

“Are you an android..?”

“Kind of… I’m… I’m a hybrid..” He interlocked his fingers with mine, and rested his forehead against mine; rubbing the side of my hand with his thumb.

“M-May I?” He questioned bashfully. I nodded, and watched as he closed his eyes; a tingly sensation crawling up my arm, and to my head.

I hope my mind doesn’t scare him off.