Chapter Two

All the first years waited outside of two very large doors. I stood with Draco and the others. Professor McGonagall went inside the Great Hall for a moment leaving us alone.

"It's true then?" Asked Draco, gaining attention from everyone.

I, too, looked up at him, curiously.

"What they were saying on the train: Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts."

I smiled when everyone cleared a gap between us and a boy with foolish glasses.

"This is Crabbe, Goyle and Raven." He introduced.

I smiled more when he forgot to introduce Parkinson.

"And I'm Malfoy," he walked over to the boy, towering over him, "Draco Malfoy."

Another boy, a ginger-haired lad, laughed. I watched as Draco glared at the boy.

"Think my names funny, do you? Think I need to ask you yours? Red hair and a hand-me-down robe? You must be Weasley." Draco said to the boy.

I remembered him from the station. The blood traitor Weasels as Lucius called them. Draco looked back to the boy with glasses.

"You'll soon find out some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort." He said, sticking out his hand, "I can help you there."

That hypocrite! He said that Potter shouldn't go around making friends with the wrong type, while he was going against his own words! Potter was not the sort he wanted to befriend! Potter was the wrong sort!

Potter spoke up for the first time, glancing down at Draco's hand and looking back up at him.

"I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself, thanks," Potter said to Draco.

This made my blood boil quickly and I took a step toward the boy before a hand landed on my shoulder, holding me back.

"Don't cause a scene, Raven." I heard Goyle whisper in my ear.

I took a deep breath and nodded. Then, McGonagall walked out of the Great Hall, tapping Draco's shoulder with a scroll of parchment. Draco looked back at her before walking back to us.

"You're an idiot, Daco. You're the biggest idiot I've ever met. Smarten up, will you?" I snapped at him, my voice just at a whisper.

I've known this boy for as long as I can remember. We were at a point where we would just say things how they were to each other. Sparing the other person's feeling was not an option because no matter how upset one of us would get at the other, we would still be best friends. No matter how much we could hate each other, we would still be best friends.

McGonagall lead us into the Great Hall. I could easily see the only thing 'great' about it was its size. Other than that, it was just a room lined with four wooden tables with wooden benches on each side, except for the teachers' table that stood at the end of the hall and had a chair for each professor. I looked through the professors until I found my father at the end of the table, staring at me. I knew he wanted me in Slytherin because it was his house. In front of the table for the professors, was a stool with an old hat on it. The sorting hat. Why couldn't it be a newer hat? I understood tradition, but why did it have to be so old and worn? My questions never got answered. Instead, the sorting commenced and kids began to get sorted. The first student was a girl called Hermione Granger. It was the girl from the train. I watched as she got sorted into the Gryffindor house. The house I did not want to get sorted into. That was my father's rival house. Draco was called up next.

"Slytherin," I whispered to him.

He nodded and walked up to the stool. The hat hardly touched his head as the hat called out Slytherin. I almost jumped with excitement for him. Next, a girl called Susan Bones was called up and placed in Hufflepuff. Then it was the Weasel boy. His nervous expression was priceless, I could hardly hold in my laugh. He walked up and the hat was placed on him. I was quickly annoyed when I found out he was another Weasel, meaning there was more of his family. He was placed in Gryffindor. Then it was Poor Pathetic Potter. I glared at him as he walked up. My breathing became involuntarily quicker.