Chapter Twenty-Six

On Christmas day, the only Christmas gift I got was walking out of the Common Room and being immediately welcomed by Ross in his human form, wearing what he usually wears. He took in my winter wear- A long black skirt, a dark green long sleeve shirt, and a black cloak. He looked at the necklace that hung around my neck.

"You still wear his gifts, even after your break up." Ross pointed out.

I looked down at the locket that hung from my neck.

"I guess I'm a sucker for hanging on to the good memories." I shrugged.

"Well, then I guess it's time to change it up a bit." He smiled, handing me a wooden box.

Reluctantly, I took it from him. I opened the box and inside there was a necklace. One much simpler than anything Draco had given me, but just as beautiful. The chain was a regular silver chain you could get in Hogsmeade, and the circular pendant was made of wood. In the centre of the pendant was a carved out and painted raven silhouette.

"Ross, where did you get this?" I asked him in awe.

"You like it?" He asked.

I nodded. I walked over to him and gave him a hug.

"I love it." I said letting go of him, "But seriously, where did you get it?"

"Well, as a bird, I was able to quickly collect money that was dropped on the ground and fly away before someone tried to take it back from me. I managed to collect enough to go into a jewellery maker and get it custom made." He explained.

I looked back at the new necklace. I guess it was time for a change. I needed to stop clinging to the past. I needed to move on. I took off the locket I had on and Ross helped me put on the new necklace. I put the locket into the wooden box and I lead Ross into the Common Room.

"Stay here, I'm just going to put this in my room." I told him and quickly ran up the stairs.

I walked into my room and placed the box on my side table. I open the box and looked down at the locket. Then, I looked down at the ring on my finger. The emerald and the diamonds sparkled under the light in the room. I slowly pulled the ring off of my middle finger and placed it with the locket. Without hesitation, I put the lid back on the box and I left the room. I joined Ross again and we went for breakfast.

"I hope you're hungry." I told him.

We walked out of the Common Room and walked down the corridors.

"You know," He said as we walked up a set of stairs, "Even if we end up going our separate ways, you don't have to see that necklace as something to connect me to. It's a gift to a beautiful black bird. Her name is Raven and she is carries very similar traits to my kind. She is smart, she knows who not to trust by first glance, she is very communicative, she loves to talk and be heard. She is strong, mysterious. She demands attention, while also demanding people to fear her. And most importantly," He stopped walking suddenly, making me turn to face him, "She is the most beautiful creature I have ever laid my eyes on."

I sighed and held my hand out to him. He took it and we continued walking to the Great Hall.

"I know what you're thinking." I told him, "That Draco broke up with me and now you think that it's okay to say all these sweet things like you have a chance with me. But I'm telling you right now, it isn't going to happen. Draco and I just broke up. I can't go around looking like I can't live without a boyfriend. It makes me think that I was right all along- maybe I don't know how to love. I tried, but I'm just incapable." I told him.

"And you don't want to feel like you're replacing him because you jumped right into a relationship with me. I get it." He said with a smirk.

He wasn't right, but he wasn't wrong either. We made it to the Great Hall and we sat at the Slytherin table. The Great Hall was almost empty. I saw that the majority of the school had gone home for the break. I began to eat my breakfast.