Chapter Six

Christmas break came and went. Nothing happened around the castle except for the Dark Lord talking to me in my dreams. Classes were back in session. Second term wasn't exciting either, only two quidditch games, Gryffindor vs. Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw vs. Slytherin. Around this time, I began to get serious with my work and prepare for next term's exams. Potter was hiding something, it became obvious to me now. But what he was hiding; that I didn't know. 

"Rave, are you listening to me?" Draco's voice asked me.

My gaze tore from glaring at Potter to Draco.

"What?" I asked him, just wanting him to stop talking for once. 

That's all he did. He talked and talked. He never stopped!

"What as gotten into you lately? You're acting strange. All I ever see you do is write notes and glare at Potter all day!" He asked me.

I rolled my eyes and took a bite from a ham sandwich, looking back at Potter. Unnoticed by anyone, I took out my wand and held it under the table. I pointed at him and whispered under my breath,

"Legilimens."

His memories filled my vision. His home. His family. Every bad memory was coming to me. I stopped at one. He was somewhere. There was a snake, behind glass. Potter watched it as a boy next to him slammed his fat hand on the glass. The boy walked away, but Potter didn't move. Then he spoke. He spoke a language I had never heard before. But I knew a moment later, when the snake woke up and communicated back to him; Harry Potter was a Parselmouth. He spoke Parseltongue! I knew he was a freak. It's rare for a wizard to be a Parselmouth. Therefore, he was a boy of a freakish nature. 

I came back to my own reality. I could see my surroundings. I was still glaring at Potter, who was now looking back at me. The group of three looked at me. Whispering to each other. I knew they were whispering about me.

"Why don't you go join them if you can't even take your eyes off of them?" I heard Draco scoff.

I looked over at him. I opened my mouth to say something snarky back to him, but I decided against it. Instead, I got up, grabbed my bag and walked to first class, leaving Draco and Goyle behind.

"Miss Snape, you're early." McGonagall said to me as I walked into the classroom.

"I guess I wanted to study in peace." I told her. 

She nodded and let me work. I pulled out my books and got to distracting myself with work.

"I can't believe you just left us." A boy whispered to me over my shoulder. 

I rolled my eyes and looked up at Draco, who was smirking at me.

"What are you doing here so early?" I asked him.

It wasn't like him to be early.

"Class is about to start." He said, gesturing to a large clock. 

He was right. It had to have been at least twenty minutes since I left the Great Hall and I hadn't even noticed how the time flew by and how much work I had flown through.

"What could you possibly be studying?" The blond boy asked me.

"Don't talk to me." I snapped at him.

"Oh, come on, Snape. If this is about my mention of sitting with Potter, I didn't mean it. It was a joke." He sighed.

"A joke?" I snapped, "We do not joke about him, Malfoy! It isn't funny!"

"I told you it was about that." Goyle mentioned to Draco.

We all shut up as the class filled with students and the class began.