Chapter Twenty-Seven

I have never liked Dumbledore in all of my six years of coming to this school. People believed him to be the opposite of what he was. They thought he was a brilliant wizard; brave even. I knew that he wasn't what he seemed to be. The Dark Lord was greatest wizard of all time, strong and powerful. I aspired to be like him. I dreamed so hard to be like him, that I had been practicing a certain curse. I used it to kill flowers, then rabbits, then deer, then that acromantula in the forbidden forest. It was only a matter of time before I would be able to test it on a human. All I could do for now was to practice in the forbidden forest on the animals that lived there. During classes, I found it difficult to sit still, to keep my hand away from my wand when not practicing spells. I had been tempted to preform the killing curse on the peers that I despised, though I managed to keep myself in line. 

***

"I have never felt so much power in my life! I have the choice of life and death in my hands and it is the best feeling." I explained to Ross. 

"But you can control yourself, right?" Ross asked me. 

"Of course, I can! But think about how great it would be if you had life and death rest in your hands! Wouldn't it make you feel like the most powerful person on the planet?" I asked him.

"I don't think I would be able to handle the weight of death on my shoulders." Ross answered.

"Well, let me tell you, it isn't the worst feeling in the world! I actually quite enjoy the feeling. Now I understand why the Dark Lord does it." I said. 

As Ross and I talked, I heard a noise I almost couldn't describe. Like the explosion and crumbling of rocks or boulders ringing in my ears. It was aggravating. I looked around. Nothing looked out of the ordinary. I looked up to the castle. 

"Raven? Is everything alright?" Ross asked.

"Don't follow me." I ordered the boy.

 I began to walk toward the castle. Whatever this sound was, I was going to find it and put an end to it. I walked towards the sound. The closer I got to it, the louder it became. It was loudest when I approached the boy's toilets on the main floor. I looked around and walked into the washroom just as an unfamiliar spell was yelled by an all too familiar voice. I watched as the white light hit a boy with white hair. The boy staggered back and fell onto the flooded floor. His white uniform shirt quickly became drenched in red. The water on the floor began to turn the same colour. I watched in shock as the boy I knew too well cried and shook in pain. I looked over at the boy who produced the spell. It was another boy I knew too well, except I hated this one. My blood curdled inside me. I whipped my wand out and held it out to the boy with glasses. 

"You're going to pay for what you did, Potter. I swear to Merlin." I told him. 

"Wand away, Lily." A cold voice said as a man wearing a black cloak walked quickly past Potter and me. 

I glared at Potter as I put my wand back in my pocket. I backed away from Potter and made my way over to Draco. I knelt next to him. 

"Hey, it's going to be okay."  I whispered to the boy as I moved a strand of blond hair away from his face.

His eyes were closed and his breath was shaky. I held the boy's hand as my father knelt beside the boy and began drawing his wand along the deep cut in Draco's chest. My father muttered an incantation that I had never heard of before. The red from the water looked like it was being drawn back to Draco as it became clear again. I watched the blood from his uniform disappear and Draco's breath became steady again. My father took his wand away from the boy. I looked up at him. 

"Is he going to be okay? What spell did Potter use?" I asked him. 

"He'll be fine. He just needs rest." My father told me.