chapter six | he who brought it up

Jenny's jaw automatically gapped open at Daemon's words.

Of all the things he could have said, those were the last ones she would have expected him to utter.

Who was it that stole you from me?

He actually said those words.

Jenny blinked repeatedly as she looked up at Daemon, her throat feeling like the Sahara Desert and her heart against her intentions started hammering away against her chest.

Jenny ran her hand back and forth against her chest, rubbing it as an involuntary cough escaped her.

Daemon continued to stare at down at her, taking in her agitated state with a smile.

If anyone was watching them at that moment, then would've thought that Daemon was asking her something so innocuous and not something that would've elicited that much of a reaction out of Jenny.

"Well," Daemon said as Jenny continued to silently watch him with a look that one gave to a rabid dog. "Who is he?"

Jenny shook her hand slightly to bring her out of the reverie that she had slipped into. "Who is who?"

"The guy mom was talking about," Daemon replied as he shifted his footing and straightened up.

"There's no guy," Jenny replied and instantly regretted it. She didn't owe him anything explanation and she didn't even have to answer his questions.

Jenny knew what guy had popped into her head when Mrs Matthews mentioned boy troubles. He was standing right in front of her.

And there was nothing that could make Jenny say that he was the boy that Mrs Matthews had been alluding to.

A dark smirk popped on Daemon's face as he leaned his head down slightly. It wasn't that big of a movement, but close enough to make Jenny wary. "No guy? Really?"

Jenny nodded as she took an involuntary step back.

Daemon leaned down further, only a respectable amount of distance now separated him and Jenny. But to Jenny it felt like too close for her sanity. "So then, you didn't mention anything about me to my mom, about the kiss?"

Jenny's eyes widened at his words before she cast a wary look around to see if anyone might have overheard. Thankfully, no one was paying attention to them, especially Mrs Matthews who had disappeared.

Jenny turned back to face Daemon and a hard look formed on her face. This was the closest they've ever gotten to mentioning that night. The fact that he brought up her mentioning him to his mom made Jenny wish that she hadn't come to the barbecue at all.

If it was up to her, the kiss wouldn't have happened in the first place. But since it had happened and nothing could change the past, the best second to it was not bringing it up ever again.

She thought that Daemon and her had a silent agreement to not bring it up again as though it was a taboo subject,  just long enough before he had to leave for college. She had even gone so far in her plans for the future that she had even calculated her reasons for being absent whenever Daemon was in town during his college breaks.

But here he was bringing it up.

Jenny cleared her throat before leaning in so that it ensure no one would overhear her. "I thought we agreed not to bring up the kiss up again."

An unreadable look crossed Daemon's face. "You're the one who didn't care about that agreement in the first place."

Jenny furrowed her brows together at his words. "What are you talking about?"