chapter twelve | not her type

SONG : EXO - TEMPO

••|||••

The silence that settled into the room was deafening as everyone's eyes were either on Glenn or on Jenny.

Jenny and Glenn's attention were on each other, both trying to gauge the other person's reaction.

Shock and confusion painted Jenny's face at the sudden confession that had just been dropped like a proverbial bomb that it was at the dinner table. Jenny hadn't expected Glenn to say what he did. 

In fact, the furthest thing from her mind that dinner would bring about was Glenn's sudden confession. If anything, she had expected to finally convince her family that she wasn't dating Glenn and that he was just a friend from the student council.

Jenny slowly closed her mouth that had gaped open at Glenn's words as she swallowed nervously, not knowing what she was supposed to say or do next. She felt the heavy weight of everyone's gaze weighing heavily against her and she could almost hear the deafening sound of the clock as the second hand ticked by mercilessly as if to tell her that she was running out of time.

Speak Jenny, she inwardly berated herself for her silence. Say something!

Maybe he meant as a person. That he liked me as a person! Jenny continued but looking at Glenn, she knew instantly that he hadn't meant that.

Glenn,  after the initial shock of his words had died out, looked like he wanted to find the nearest exit. He was biting his lower lip and it looked like he hadn't breathed since the bomb had been dropped.

Jenny quickly realized Glenn's growing anxiety as the silence dragged on and she felt bad for him. She knew all too well how hard it was keeping your feelings for someone hidden and the stress and hesitation that he must've gone through before he had boldly expressed his feelings.

She knew that she would've preferred to have had this discussion in a more private setting, most preferrably somewhere that didn't have her entire family as an aundience. But Jenny knew that she couldn't very well change anything now and that she was stuck with the situation, whether she liked it or not.

Jenny took a deep breath, as she contemplated the best response she could give Glenn.

"Glenn, I-" her words died on her lips as the doorbell rang.

And not just once. But multiple times as if someone was pressing the button repeatedly without pause.

Jenny huffed out in frustration at whoever it was that was being impatient outside. She willed herself to ignore it, worried that if she didn't say what she did now that she would lose her courage.

"Glenn, I consider-"

The doorbell rang again, and again, and again.

"For goodness' sake, who the f-"

"Jenny!" Mr Archer's stern voice cut off whatever she was going to say. "Scarlet if you please," he added nodding to the direction of the front door.

Mrs Archer nodded as she excused herself, got up and went to the door. Seconds later, the door opening could be heard from the dining room followed by indecipherable chatter.

Silence dawned in the dining room once again and Jenny found herself losing the courage that she had garnered. She was also slightly embarrassed at having been scolded by her father.

"So..." Jake, Jenny's ten year old brother broke the silence, his voice curious, "does that mean you two are going to start dating now?"

Everyone's eyes honed in on him as Jenny bellowed, "Jake!"