chapter seventeen | finally getting answers

SONG : MAKE HIM WAIT - ABBY ANDERSON

•••|||•••

It took Jenny almost a full minute to register her brother's words and even then she was left stumped.

What gave him the idea that there is something between Daemon and I? Jenny wondered as she furrowed her brows together in confusion at her twin. How long has he known? Why is Daemon still walking around perfectly okay, black-eye free?

Jesse sighed impatiently when Jenny continued to stare at him in silence. He arched a brow at his sister before asking, "So who is it? Daemon or Glenn?"

Jenny made a quick decision before she let out a mocking laugh, "What? You think Daemon and I are what?" She laughed again for good measure, knowing that if she was to fool her twin, she would have to put on a good show. "Dating? Gosh, what gave you that idea?"

However, when she looked at Jesse, her laughter quickly died.

He wasn't buying it.

Not a single bit.

Jesse continued to stare at her in boredom, his brows still arched as if they were playfully mocking her with a 'Seriously' expression.

"You must think I'm stupid if you think I wouldn't notice how awkward the both of you have been recently."

Jenny bit her lower lip nervously.

Jesse took that as a sign to continue. He rolled his eyes as he crossed his arms across his chest. "Just the mention of the other person's name and the both of you act like nervous teens having their first crush."

Jenny sighed, knowing that even though she concocted the most elaborate scheme in the universe, that she wouldn't trick Jesse. He knew her so well.

Plus, Jenny had expected him to be the first person to guess something was going on between Daemon and her. She just didn't expect it to be so fast.

"How long have you known?" she asked after clearing her throat. Her voice was surprisingly not as nervous or intimidated as she expected. Maybe the fact that Jesse wasn't particularly coming at her angrily helped.

He shrugged as he sighed. "I don't really know. Maybe it was back when he disappeared without any explanation at the cinema or it was the way you just seemed jumpy and on edge whenever his name was mentioned."

"But that doesn't confirm anything."

"Well," he snickered under his breath, his eyes glinting with a knowing smile, "what really confirmed it was the fact that I caught you two locked in the bathroom together on Friday."

Jenny's eyes widened as she felt her heart stop. "You WHAT?!"

"SHHH!" Jesse shushed her before his eyes darted towards the staircase leading upstairs to everyone's rooms. "If you don't want everyone to know about your little secret, I suggest you keep your voice down."

Jenny nodded begrudgingly, bringing her voice down as she repeated, "You what?"

Jesse smirked, "You really think I didn't know you and Daemon were in the bathroom together?"

Jenny nodded feeling her face burn up at the revelation that her brother had known all along about Daemon and her, especially about them being locked together in the bathroom. To make matters worse, he thought they were dating, and one can only guess what he thought they were doing in there together.

"I'm not a fool, Jenny," he continued. "It took Daemon to long to answer me and for goodness sake, the guy can't lie to save his life. When he told me he had asked you, I went to your room to check and ho and behold, you weren't there. I saw you slipping out of the bathroom before Daemon on my way back."