Chapter 2

*That Evening*

"Oh shit, Gail's here," Jacob laughed to Katie as they leaned against the bar chatting. "I didn't think she'd fly the fuck out here."

"Don't look at her," Katie said quickly. "No eye contact."

They both turned away from the party, giggling quietly into their drinks. "Least favorite cousin," Jacob sighed heavily.

"For real," Katie agreed. "Mom always tried to makes us play with her too."

They were both silent for a moment, remembering and missing their mother, before returning to their conversation.

"Dad here yet?" She asked, sipping her beer and scanning the room.

Jacob shook his head. "I dunno where he is."

"I haven't seen him in so long, I'm nervous."

"You're still his favorite," Jacob scoffed. "Leave town and don't contact anyone for years but somehow that's okay for Jacob Feldstein senior."

"Your bitterness is showing," she joked. "None of us exactly live up to his expectations."

"He's proud of you," Jake admitted. "Trust me."

"I'm proud of both of you," Jacob's voice boomed behind them.

"Daddy!" Katie spun around and gave her father an enthusiastic hug exaggerated for his benefit. "How are you?"

"I'm good, baby girl," he said, returning the hug. When the embrace ended Jacob turned to his son. "Prospecting? You're a biker now?"

"Yeah, Dad," he said with annoyance. "School didn't work out after I got back so, you know, I got in with these guys."

Jacob hesitated before nodding and giving his son a rough hug. "Ain't easy shit, I'm proud of you."

"What?" Katie gasped. "Seriously?"

"There's a need for these kinds of guys," he said. "Your grandfather owes them a lot, the Sons of Anarchy have been good to him and Charming. You used to think they were the coolest when you spent your summers here with Pop."

Katie rolled her eyes. "I didn't know they were an actual gang," she said.

"It's a club," Jake corrected her sternly.

"Just be careful," Jacob ordered his son. "I mean it."

Jake nodded when suddenly their father stepped away from them without a word. The siblings looked at each other in confusion as Jacob strolled confidently toward the entrance of the expensive banquet hall. He had a purpose, he wasn't just mingling or saying hello, but they couldn't figure it out right away.

"Dad seems weird, right?" Katie asked with concern.

Jake nodded. "Yeah, maybe 'cause we only see him once every couple of years?"

"Couple?" Katie laughed. "I haven't seen Dad in over six years."

"I live out here and I never see him either," Jake shrugged.

Just then it became very apparent what his mission was when he had left them. Jacob was greeting guests, important guests, ones neither child knew their father had any contact with, ever.

"Clay," Jacob announced loudly as he shook Clay's hand. The action turned quickly into a hug, then Jacob greeted Jax similarly and finally Gemma with a kiss on the cheek. "It's good to see you guys."

"What the fuck?" Jake hissed. "Since when does Dad know Clay?"

"I don't know," she said quietly. "None of them ever mentioned it? Even hinted at it?"