Chapter 27

Jacob wasn't angry about the arrest or the potential charges he was angry over the disrespect. Unser knew who he was, he knew about his all connections, but he didn't do the supposed right thing and talk to Jacob privately.

"What is this about?" Jacob fumed as he was shackled to a table in an interrogation room. "I want my lawyer and I'm going to make you regret this slight."

Unser scoffed, shrugging, and left the room. As he stood in front of the open door, about to head back to his office, he looked back at Jacob. "Can't get blood from a stone, can't make me suffer when I'm already suffering," Unser said sardonically. "I'll call your lawyer."

After an hour the door opened again but it wasn't Jacob's lawyer, it was Jax.

"What the fuck is this?" Where's my lawyer?"

"You might not need one," Jax said with a smirk as he took the chair across from Jacob.

"I'm gonna need one when I get done kicking your ass," he growled. "What's your game, Teller?"

"What's yours?" He asked, leaning back and placing his feet on the table. "Hiring Darby to almost kill your daughter, that's fucking stupid. At least hire someone capable...like you did when you had her mother killed."

Jacob glared at Jax and if looks could kill the younger man would have been a stone-cold corpse in mere seconds.

"I didn't want her to get hurt," Jacob said. "The fire was to teach you a lesson and keep her away."

Jax laughed. "Jesus you didn't even deny it."

"What's the point?" Jacob shrugged. "Tell me what you want."

"I want to know why," he said.

"Because I don't want you with Katie, Clay doesn't want you involved with her or CaraCara and because he threatened to out me if I didn't help out your in your place."

He wasn't surprised at all to hear any of it and Jax could tell by how easily he gave Clay up that Jacob was looking to get out from under the Sons all together.

"Oh I know where my place is, it's at the gavel," Jax said. "You tell Katie the truth about the fire, tell her Clay's trying to destroy CaraCara because of me and you both tried to get between us, and I'll have Unser forget everything."

"And if I don't?"

"You'll end up in some prison with a lot of felons who aren't your biggest fans," Jax smirked. "If Clay doesn't kill you before you get there."

Jumping up from his spot, Jax sauntered out of the room and back to Unser's office. "You done?" He asked in his usual hassled tone of voice.

"I am," Jax nodded. "Thanks, Chief."

Jax was waiting outside Saint Thomas for Katie, still sitting on his bike, sunglasses, and helmet on, looking perfect in his role of the dangerous biker. She scurried out, her sunglasses on as well, and hoped right on behind him.

"Get me the hell outta here," she told Jax. "Now."

They took the long way to Katie's apartment, Jax wanting Jacob to have to wait and stew in his rage and embarrassment, arriving just over an hour after leaving the hospital. Katie opened the door, Jax following closely behind her, but stopped when she saw her father in the kitchen.

"Dad," she huffed. "What the hell are you doing here? How did you get in?"

"I have a key," he said coolly.

"I didn't give you one," she said firmly.

Jacob just shrugged. "That's not what I'm here to discuss." Looking at Jax he gestured to the hallway. "You mind giving me and my daughter some privacy?"

"No," Katie grabbed Jax's wrist. "I want Jax here."

Jacob wasn't thrilled but he expected it. "Okay. I want you to know, Katie, that I love you sweetheart, more than anything, and everything I've done has been to help you."

"Jesus Christ," she grumbled. "What did you do?"

"Clay came to me with a plan, I agreed and I hired guys to set the fire at CaraCara," he said, less ashamed than he should have been.

"I could have died!" Katie snapped, her grip on Jax's wrist tightening. "What the fuck is wrong with you? Why would you do that?"

"I'm trying to protect you," Jacob told her. "The more time you spend with him and that fucking club the more danger you're in. This porn deal is bullshit, Jax is using you to fuck with Clay."

"I know what he's doing," he snapped. "He explained it all to me and Jax isn't the danger, Clay seems to be, my ex too, and clearly you are. Jax is the only one who hasn't hurt me, intentionally or accidentally."

The simplest and most obvious truth hit Jacob in the face right there as his daughter shouted at him. "Maybe you're right," he sighed.

"No maybe," she shook her head. "Get out."

"Katie, please, I'm sorry I let Clay get into my head."

"You're a grown man," she scoffed. "Although less of one than I ever realized. Please leave, Dad."

Jacob nodded, shooting a quick but harsh look at Jax, and saw himself to the door.

"Leave the key," Katie said as he opened the door to leave.

She didn't look but she heard the metal hit the end table then the door close as he left. Katie immediately burst into tears and buried her face in Jax's as he held her close to comfort her.

"I'm sorry, babe," he said soothingly.

"Did you know?" She whimpered.

"I had an idea," Jax told her. "I expect that shit from Clay, I'm not surprised."

"My own fucking dad," she sobbed. "What the fuck?"

Jax felt pangs of guilt slice through him with each sob from Katie, he knew she deserved the truth but he hated seeing her so crushed. "At least we know now, I'm not gonna let him near you, babe."

"I love you," she cried. "I really do," Katie said, more firmly this time as she pulled her head back to look at Jax. "I love you, Jax."

Looking at her with a sunny, swoon-worthy smile, Jax nodded, "I love you too, Kate."