Chapter 37

Katie and Jax spent that night together, and the next night, and the night after that. It wasn't until those three evenings of take out and sex were over that they had finally decided to get back to the real world. Jax had his club and his son and Katie had, well, not much in California, but ignoring the drama that surrounded them wasn't helping anyone.

So the next day Katie her fist on Jacob's door, she hollered out to him or Sean, whoever was there listening. "Come on, we have to talk!"

Sean swung open the door. "What?"

"Where is he?"

"Who?"

Katie groaned dramatically. "For real?"

"He's busy," Sean said matter-of-factly. "Sorry."

"Busy pulling up my old medical records?" Katie glared at Sean, hands on hips, and refused to move off the front step.

"He's pro-life," Sean smirked.

"Well, he should be, because he's looking at it. CID contacted me about an AWOL soldier who'd been flagged." Katie grinned wickedly. "All his string pulling caught the wrong attention."

"Why don't you come in, Kate," Sean offered suddenly kinder than before. "We'll talk about it."

Katie stepped back. "Nope. Just let that asshole know I won't be keeping any of his secrets when those Marine Investigators come sniffing around again."

"Hey!" Sean grabbed her wrist.

"No," she hollered. Katie yanked her arm back. "Do not touch me, Uncle Sean."

"Listen, you little bitch," he seethed.

Katie wasn't planning on getting physical but when he said that something switched in her brain. A little grin crossed her lips as she wound up and slugged him. "Looks like you're the little bitch."

Beaming with pride, chest puffed out confidently, Katie practically skipped back to her car and headed back into Charming to meet with Luann about their next steps.

--

Stopping at Hanna's Katie grabbed a bite, alone, enjoying the solitude and silence. Even her phone was away, ringer off, so she could decompress and enjoy her quick lunch.

"Anything else?"

"Oh no," Katie said

"Get her a piece of pie," Gemma said. She spoke with a grin as she strolled toward the booth. "Two actually. Apple. Add another cup of coffee too."

"Gemma," Katie groaned.

"You doing okay?"

"I'm fine," Katie said politely. "But I really don't want any pie."

"Enjoy it,' she winked. "Just don't get too fat."

"I don't think my weight is really an issue for you."

Gemma shrugged. "Your future."

"What's up? Why are you here?"

"Just checking on you," she said simply. "I know Jake talks to you, he's been feeling the weight of Clay's death."

Katie pursed her lips, she had nothing good to say about Clay and Gemma knew it. "Well, he shouldn't."

"I agree," Gemma nodded. "And I know you know why his guilt is more than anyone would normally feel."

"Oh, because you lied?" Katie asked her, assuming that was the reason for the visit. She wasn't told about the lies but Gemma was transparent and she knew her brother, she knew he was holding back.

Gemma wasn't surprised, instead, she smirked at Katie. "I knew if he spoke to anyone it would be you."

"I won't sell you out," Katie told her. "Shit, Jax has been through enough, the club too. In my opinion, whatever way Clay was killed doesn't matter. It only matters that he's dead."

"We're on the same page then," Gemma smiled.

"We are," Katie agreed, "But I have to run, I have a meeting with Luann. Thanks for lunch, Gem." Katie popped up from the booth and strolled out of the diner leaving Gemma to pay the check. She kind of felt shitty but not enough to go back and pay or apologize.

Katie drove to Luann's, still questioning her role in Cara Cara moving forward, and waited in her car for a few minutes mulling it over. The money was good, the work was barely actual work, and she was able to possibly pursue a relationship with Jax without worrying about having clients.

"Whatever. Might as well just fuckin' do it," she huffed. Katie got out of her car and moved slowly up the path to Luann's.

They chatted for a while, too long for Katie, but Luann was a talker. Once business was actually done she continued about Jax, then Gemma and her suspicions about some secret relationship with Tig and other pieces of gossip.

"I'm sorry to cut you off," Katie said with a frown. "I have to go though."

"Oh, of course," Luann laughed. "It's been lonely without being around the girls all the time."

"Soon we'll be back up and running!"

"I hope!"

Luann walked Katie to the door and offered to walk her to her car but Katie adamantly refused. They hugged and Luann talked for a few more minutes before Katie finally got out the front door. She walked slowly to the curb, a few houses down from Luann's, and unlocked her car with the remote. Pulling the handle she finally felt a strong set of hands on her back, pushing her in and shoving a gun in her face as another man got in the passenger side.

"Say a word and I'll blow your head off," he growled. "Now drive."

In the darkness, Katie smirked, although she was terrified, and did as they told her. She knew she was safe, to an extent, and overjoyed by the fact that Jacob was so predictable that the plan couldn't have been off to a better start.

Vote and comment please! Thanks for reading you guys are the best!