Chapter 4

"Good morning, Daddy." Katie greeted her father cheerfully outside the breakfast bistro she'd picked for them. He was there first, as usual, but he was alone which she was not expecting. "Where's Pop?"

"Not feeling too good," he said with disappointment. "Think he partied too hard last night."

Katie laughed at the lame joke as they strolled into the restaurant and were seated. Her stomach was sour from the night before but she wasn't sure if it was the alcohol or what happened with Jake. She took her oversized sunglasses off and smiled across the table at her father.

"What?" She asked, seeing an expression on his face she couldn't pinpoint.

"You look tired," he remarked.

"Thanks, Dad," she rolled her eyes. "You look old."

"I am old, kiddo," he said as the server came by for their drink order. "Coffee," he said quickly.

"Coffee and water," Katie huffed. "Please."

"I talked to Jake today," he said.

"Ugh," her fingers curled her hands into fists. "What did he say?"

"That you guys didn't have a great night," he said knowingly. "He wanted me to ask you to call him."

She drew her head back. "He's a grown ass man, he can call me if he wants to talk."

"I know, but you're my kids, I want to help you two get along."

"We're not little anymore, it's not that easy," she said dismissively. "Speaking of when we were little, I didn't know you knew any of the Sons."

"Yeah," he said with a chuckle. "We go way back."

Katie looked at him expectantly but he seemed to be completely done with the topic. That wasn't acceptable to her and she'd let him know that. She was going to pry, she wanted answers out of nosiness and something else she couldn't name.

"How far back?"

Jacob sighed heavily, "Christ, twenty years, maybe more?"

"How did you two meet?"

"Kate," he said in a fatherly tone, "He's an acquaintance."

"One you invited to Pop's 90th?"

"What do you want me to say?"

"The truth," she shrugged. "You raised us-"

"To be better than me," he said sadly. "Looks like that didn't take though."

"You seemed perfectly fine with Jake prospecting when you found out last night."

"I knew before," he admitted. "Clay called me."

"Are you serious? Jake's a grown man, Dad. What if you told Clay not to let him?"

"Clay wouldn't have," he said very matter of fact.

Katie's eyes were slits as she squinted at him. "Sounds like more than an acquaintance."

"What do you want me to tell ya, Katie?"

"The truth," she said flatly.

"I worked with Clay," he shrugged. "I knew him before I was even Warden." Jacob admitted it freely and seemingly without shame.

Katie's jaw opened slightly as she stared at him. "You beat that law and order, upstanding citizen shit into our heads as kids."

"Cause it's safer," he said simply. "That life isn't the life I wanted for you but I'll accept and support whatever Jake does."

"What about what I do?"

He smirked. "You're working for those dirty politicians, Kate. Everyone judges you."

"No, I'm not," she crossed her arms over her chest.

"What are you doing?" He asked, leaning over the table closer to her.
Katie swallowed hard, "I'm a sex worker in D.C. actually. High end work, nothing dangerous."

At first, Jacob didn't speak. He looked at his daughter slightly shocked but also impressed with her ability to keep the con going for so long. "You make good money?"

"Very good," she nodded.

"You safe?"

"I am," she assured him.

"Happy?"

"I like what I do," she admitted. "I get paid to be taken out on dates, sometimes there's more to it and sometimes not. I was so terrified of telling you the truth, of admitting that I like my job and the money that comes with it, for years. I was sick over the fact that I swore you'd be so ashamed of me when you were a criminal our whole lives."

"Katie," he said with a heavy sigh. "I did it to protect you. I'm sorry you felt that way for so long."

"Whatever," she huffed as she got to her feet. "I'm heading back home. See you at the next funeral, Dad."

"Katie," he called after her. She heard him clearly but kept her eyes forward and just shook her head.

--

Seeing Jake's name on her caller ID so soon was unexpected but Katie figured he'd call eventually. She was just finished packing her few things for the flight home when she answered the call.

"Hey," she said politely.

"Hey," there was a sense of urgency in his voice. "What did you say to Jax last night?"

"What?" She was confused. "Nothing. Why?"

"He's been MIA all morning," Jake explained. "No ones seen him since last night."

"I don't know where he is," she stammered. "I told him to talk to Tara, he probably went there."

"We already checked her place," Jake sighed. "Wasn't there."

Katie felt her stomach begin to knot up. "I hope he's okay."

"Us too," Jake agreed. "If you see him or something let me know."

"I'm leaving for the airport," she explained, "Kris is meeting in there in thirty minutes."

"Have a safe flight," Jake mumbled sadly.

"Thanks," she huffed, annoyed he didn't apologize. "Bye."

Tossing her phone in her purse, Katie grabbed her suitcase and swung open her motel room door. Standing in the doorway was Jax, ready to knock, with dark circles under his eyes.

"Whoa," she stumbled back. "You scared me."

"Sorry," he sighed. "I took your advice and things got messy."

"I'm sorry to hear that," she said genuinely. "I have to go, Jax. I want to beat any traffic heading to the airport."

He shook his head. "I need to crash here."

"What?" She laughed loudly. "Here? Why?"

"They sent out the search party, I won't get peace," he said as he stifled a yawn. "I need some goddamn sleep."

"Okay," she sighed. "Check our is at 4."

"Here," he handed her some cash. "Tell em' you need one more day."

"Are you safe?" She asked in a whisper.

He nodded. "Yeah."

"Jax," she said with concern. "What the hell happened?"

"It's a long story," he admitted. "Like a ten year story."

Katie looked at the clock and sighed heavily again. "I can book a new flight," she offered. "If you need something or someone to talk to?"

Jax nodded but only said, "I need sleep."

"Nap first," she suggested, pushing him to sit on the bed. He did as she said, kicking his shoes off before throwing himself back on the bed. Katie smiled at him, "I'll be here when you wake up."

Vote and/or comment please, guys! Xoxo