Chapter 13

"BLT on toast with mayo," Katie said as she placed the sandwich in front of her brother. "If you eat your sandwich I'll give you cookies," she joked.

"This is the only thing you ever make," he grumbled. "It's good but uhh, variety helps Kay."

"I'm not a chef," she rolled her eyes. "I have a few recipes I've perfected for a few clients who like to pretend I'm their fucking wife or some shit but other than those I don't cook. Ever."

"Aren't they lucky," he rolled his eyes.

"I'm good at my job," she said defensively.

He looked at her and huffed. "I don't wanna hear that shit."

"It's so much more than sex," she told him. "I play wifey, therapist, friend," she explained.

"I really don't wanna hear it," he said, chewing sloppily. "How you doing?"

"Me?" She asked with surprise. "I'm good. Why are you asking about me?"

"Your life's been kind of everywhere since you got here," he shrugged. "Jax, Kris, Dad," he continued.

"The kidnapping, you getting shot," she added. "I'm good, really. You uhh, you don't like him either do you?"

"Who? Kris?" He wiped his face. "No. He's sneaky and he looks like a goddamn creeper."

Her face was suddenly dark. "What the fuck ever."

"Hey, it's legitimate," he said quickly. "I know you trust him and you're good with his side of things but I dunno, it just doesn't feel right."

"You don't know him," she huffed.

"Okay," he grumbled. "I'm heading out tonight."

"Where?"

"The clubhouse," he shrugged. "Just ya know, drinking and hanging out, getting my dick wet."

"Hm, gross," she said with disgust. "Guess in the DD."

"Designated fucking dork," he grumbled.

"Oh okay you gonna drive drunk with one good arm?" She asked with a cocked eyebrow.

"No," he laughed. "You're not mom, though. You can let loose too."

"I'm good," she huffed.

"Why don't you hang out with your brother?"

"I was going to spend the night with Kris," she mumbled as if he would miss that last part.

"You afraid to leave him alone too long. Cheating or just don't want him almost getting your ass killed again?"

She looked away, thinking hard on his question, but just shrugged. "I don't know what it is."

"Is this how you admit we're right?"

"Stop," she said sadly. "Something feels different. I don't know. I thought it was just the drama and being out here, it's so different than D.C., but I think it's more than that."

Jake nodded slowly as she spoke. "Maybe all the sunshine makes things clearer and you don't like the look of it all now."

Katie drew her head back and balked. "When did you become all deep and meaningful?"

"Almost dyin' does shit to ya," he shrugged.

"Then where's my near death enlightenment?"

"I was closer," he said with a smirk as he placed his plate in the sink. "Do I have any pain pills left?"