Chapter One: The Funeral

Penelope Marshall looked at herself in the mirror. She wishes she saw a healthy woman with fiery red hair and warm hazel eyes. Instead, she saw a sickly thin girl with dried-out hair and dull eyes. However, she can't help but smile. She shouldn't be smiling, since it was her father's funeral, but she feels free. The abuse is over. She mourned the death of her father the day he died, which was the first day he abused her.

Her father was an important businessman who need to keep the appearance of his family clean. This didn't stop the physical, emotional, and mental abuse. He would call her a bitch no matter what. If she ate in front of him, he would call her fat. If she came home from school late, which was all the time, he would call her a whore. If she cried when he hit her, he would call her a pussy. The insults filled her mind for ten years. The worst was worthless. The physical abuse was strategic and harsh, in places where an average person couldn't view.

The only thing that kept her sane was school. There she joined the drama club after years of dancing and singing at home with her mother. It was the only thing that would make her feel as if her mother still lived with her. Penelope's mother loved the theater, so Penelope fell in love with theater too. She had many good friends as well through the drama club. However, never close enough to invite her over. Never close enough to feel safe tell them about the abuse.

Her father worked all day to return home with the nasty remarks to his daughter. In between, weeklong business trips in foreign countries where he would party. He would come home drunk and with foreign women. The women soon leave after Mr. Marshall dumped them. She found peace in those weeks alone. She found freedom to eat, sing out loud, stay away from home as late as she wanted too. Because, once her father came home, there would be no such thing. She had to be home at four, no later. And there was to be absolutely no noise, whatsoever.

She hoped, for college, she would be able to go far away, preferably New York City, but her father threw away all her applications that went through the mail. Thankfully, she applied for a local college that she turned in by hand. She was accepted and majored in theater. She still lived at home during college, which was still a nightmare.

Finally, at the age of twenty-four, her father died. It was a murder, and the police still don't know who it was; but as an important businessman, he had many enemies.

Penelope Marshall was dressed for her father's funeral. It was a simple short-sleeve black dress, black tights, and black kitten heels. Her hair was tied back in a bun, and she had light make-up on. She knew her acting skills will be tested today. She had to pretend that she was heartbroken rather than her real emotion: relief. Nobody knew that the famous Mr. Marshall abused his only daughter. Actually, one person did know.

This person was the head maid, Alberta, or Ms. Birdie. She has worked in the house since Penelope was born. Ms. Birdie would often find Penelope, or Penny to her, crying in her room after a beating or an extremely rude remark and held her until she stopped. Ms. Birdie would do anything to make her as happy as possible. She would cook Penny all her favorite foods when Mr. Marshall was away, help the girl study, watch her practice for a new role. Ms. Birdie was the closest thing to a mother after Penny's real mother left.

Ms. Birdie popped her head into Penny, "Honey, it's time to go. The car is here."

Penny turned around to face her, "Is it wrong that I feel happy that he is dead?" Real tears lined her eyes. Penny felt guilty about her joy.

The maid scurried to the young woman, "Oh no honey. Don't feel guilty! He was always an evil man. Why do you think your mother left? How do you think I know how to treat bruises? After your mother left, someone had to fill her space. Unfortunately, it was you. I'm so sorry, Penny" She pulled her into a tight hug. When released, Ms. Birdie wiped Penny's tears away and they walked out together.