Chapter Thirty-Two: First Meeting

Penny grips a piece of paper inside Quentin's car as they head back to the city. The paper, slightly crumpled, but a bright, new white. Smooth, yet Penny's fingers do not slide easily across as she reads the familiar cursive writing over and over. 

"Do you think she is alright?" Penny questions the driver for the fifth time she found the note. 

"Yes, Penny," Quinn exasperated, running his rans through his hair. He knows that she is only looking out for her oldest friend, and basically only family, but it was starting to get irritating. However, he was the King of being irritating, so he can not be one to complain. 

"It's just that I didn't know she had other family back in San Francisco? She never left my house. Also, why wouldn't she say goodnight? What family emergency was so serious she had to leave in the middle of the night and get a Uber, and not just wait for us to leave the city?" She thought out loud. Her brain filed through memory after memory, trying to think of her family. She knew she had a husband, who passed away before she went to work for the Marshall family. Other than that she never mentioned any family. 

Ms. Birdie would always say how they were family, that Penny was the only family she needed. 

Now she left without saying goodbye. 

Small cracks started to form in the edges of Penny's heart. 

She doesn't even know when she will come back to New York. 

Quentin decides to let Penny spoken thoughts remain unanswered, simply because he didn't know the answers. He heard a pessimist sigh, and a soft thud against the window. 

That was the last time she spoke for the rest of the trip. The only sound playing was the soft music of the car radio and the constant drumming of Quentin's fingers on the steering wheel. 

The trees made of wood and leaves continuously grow into solid pieces of steel. Those once monsters of nature are weakened to little shrubs that barely lines the busy streets of the city. Early, only one car surrounded them, and that was a familiar car. Soon, cars, trucks, and buses around the two cars, bumper to bumper. 

Usually, traffic bothers anyone enduring it: however, Penny and Quentin seemed to love it. Quentin loved the extra time spent with her. Penny loved the roadblock to her big meeting. 

She couldn't wrap her brain around the fact she landed a job. Everyone is telling her to be excited and happy for the part. However, Penny doesn't know how to react. She has spent the month deep in rejection, deep in a depression, just generally overwhelmed with everything. How can she handle a full time job when she doesn't even have a handle over her own feeling. 

She doesn't even deserve the job.

Well, she just thinks that. 

She might just go into the meeting and turn it down. She doesn't want to subject the audience to her terrible acting and singing. 

Penny jolts away from the window when Quentin pulls to the side of a theater house. It was time for the meeting. 

"So, I am going back to the Penthouse. Danny can give you a ride back," Quinn instructs Penny. She nods, looking around the car for anything she might need. She already has her phone in her jean pockets. She didn't really bring a purse to her vacation, but its not it had anything important. 

She heard a knock at the window. She couldn't help but jump at the sudden sound, "Come on, let's go." Danny looks rather impatient, but he was just really excited for his sister-in-law and client. He has some clients go big in the past, but nothing this fast. Usually they start off as swings and ensemble in Off-off Broadway productions. The people must have really loved Penelope. He doesn't really know the role, but he knows she will be great.