Chapter Thirty: Goodnight Romano Family

Penny was quiet during dinner. She stuffed her face with cupcakes and, surprisingly, pumpkin pie. Actually, she ate a lot of pumpkin pie. Amelia was grateful. She was one of the only one's in the family to like the fall dessert, but now there is another who will eat her homemade pie. 

Everyone wasn't talking to much. The children could barely stay away to eat there chocolate cupcakes. It wasn't too late, but the turkey and cranberry sauce is tucking them in for an early sleep. Most were also full of alcohol, and older, causing them to feel extra drowsy. Dylan, Quentin, and Aubrey were the only one's who have barely touched a drink all evening. Penny was listening to Addison talk about the progression of her job. She didn't speak much, but she made sure to react to the conversation. 

It was around eight o'clock at night when everyone was officially done with Thanksgiving.  Some went to watch a movie together and the rest went to there separate rooms to rest and relax. Usually, Quentin would stay awake and be around his family, but he has someone to take care of. 

He helps her throw away her plastic dessert dishes and put her dirty glass in the sink. Her eyes laid half-mast and she stumbled up the stairs. He tried not to laugh, but he had to remain calm and collected for her sake. He couldn't turn into a laughing and giggling mess only for him to not pay attention and then she fall up the stairs. That would be a disaster. 

Halfway down the hall, she babbling again, "You know, you aren't half bad! You have a great family. Never take any of them for granite." She misspeaks the word granted. "I am soooooooo happy that we got married because your family is awesome. Just so cool." 

He tries to hide his smile as she continues to gush about his family. She lays down on the bed and he pulls out her overnight bag and finds her pair of pajamas. He has to pull her off the bed and push her into the bathroom to get her to change. He sits outside the bathroom, making sure to listen just in case she slips and falls. She was a clumsy drunk. 

She pulls the door open, dressed to perfection in her old t-shirt that was from college and a pair of gray pants with fall leaves printed all over. She tripped up to him and wrapped her arms around his neck, basically holding herself up. She rest her head upon his chest and whispers, "Can I go to bed now?"

He couldn't stop himself from leaning forward and giving the top of her head a light peck. "Of course." Surprisingly, she had enough energy to hoist herself up, so that he could carrier to bed. He reacted quickly, placing his arms underneath her thighs to support her. He was a little freaked out. She has never shown his much affection to anyone. She was typically a closed book, with her emotion and actions tightly wrapped up. 

It only took a few long strides to get to the bed. He placed her on one side and took down the other. She was already half asleep, but he managed to coax her to the open side. Penny snuggled under the covers and promptly fell asleep. 

Quentin grabbed a book from his bag, and laid down wondering if married life was this great. 

***

On the third floor of the Long Island mansion, Birdie was getting ready for bed. She put on a light pink floral nightgown, brushed her teeth and started to undo the tight bedding sheets. Her back was facing the front door, so she didn't notice it slowly open, careful to not make a noise. A man holding a damp rag quickly wrapped one arm around her upper stomach, restricting arm movement. Before Birdie could scream for help, before she could properly breathing in, a rag placed over her mouth and nose. She didn't want to breath in the chemicals, but she wasn't prepared for it. The world started to become darker and she started to feel dizzy until she could feel anything.