Chapter Twenty-Five: Good Deeds

Penny and Danny spent the rest of the day hanging out; however, neither brought up the audition. Penny didn't feel like talking about something that wasn't any special, and Danny simply read her mood and decided against it. 

He left before dinner time, but earlier they talked about random thing and watched some movies together. Quentin was no where to be seen. For dinner that Saturday night, Penny ate some of the leftover Mac and Cheese. 

The next day, Sunday, she did what she wanted to do yesterday: nothing. She physically did nothing, but mentally, her mind felt fairly busy. 

She would by laying in bed when she would remember one nasty beating from her teen years. Or she would think about what Aubrey would think of what she was doing. She felt guilty when thinking about her friends. What would they think of you if they knew you just stay in bed all day

She really didn't want to stay like this, but she feels so empty inside, it was pointless to do anything. She was afraid that she couldn't find joy in anything anymore. She felt like she couldn't feel. It's just better if I stay here in my bed.

In her bed, nothing could hurt her. She didn't have to face the disappointment of her friends and new family. She had no creeping thoughts of if her friends couldn't stand her presence. Once in a while, she would feel guilty, that she was letting down her therapist, but it went away when other self-depreciating thoughts entered. 

Quentin didn't notice anything wrong with his wife. He was focused on completing his large collection of novels, therefore, not leaving his room very often. 

Ms. Birdie noticed right away when she saw how she stayed in bed. She would always bring food outside her door. She tried to enter, but Penny kept the door locked. The tray would sometimes disappear and then reappear with the food half eaten (which wasn't a lot of food). Ms. Birdie decided to give it another day before taking action. 

However, the next day wasn't that much better. 

Penny got some sleep during the night, but not much due to the fact she took many naps during the previous day. She doesn't like the way she feels, really. It's not like she wants to be capacitated to her bed, barely able to get to the bathroom. But...

It was better than actually facing her emotions and problems. 

Having to face her emotions means that she would have to tell someone about what happened. She already hated the fact that two people know what happened to her. She doesn't want to come to terms with what happened. She prefers to just try and forget it all. However, with all her past trauma bottled up, she doesn't know how to emote. She doesn't know how to face her anxiety or identify triggers. 

The fear of shame, embarrassment, and judgement were greater than seeking help at the moment. She was perfectly happy (well, she didn't feel much other than exhaustion) being on her own. 

Anyways, I don't want to bother anyone with my problems. 

Ms. Birdie didn't want to be left out of anyone's problems. She was the type of woman that needed to know everything that is happening and do anything she can to help. 

By mid-afternoon on that Monday, she went through the kitchen, rifling through all drawers to find the "junk door". Hopefully, the master key to the bedroom doors will be found. When she has no luck, she journeys upstair, past Penny's door, and knock on the door of the master-of-the house. 

She hears some shuffling before the door is opened wide. Quentin stands on the other side, the most causal she has ever seen him. He was wearing a pair of dark gray sweatpants with a college name running down on pants leg and he was wearing a plain, navy t-shirt. It was something that all men wear when relaxing.