Eclipse: Awkward, yet Emboldening

Tip: Topaz, from the Sonic X series, will be referred to as 'Agatha' in this chapter. Just a heads up so you don't wonder who she is! Enjoy!

I wake up with an impressive, full-body groan, feeling as if I have just been tugged from a deep lagoon into the world of daylight. Pulling my arms from an odd entanglement, I open my eyes, confused. They blink blearily for a few seconds in an unfamiliar space, and a momentary panic rushes through me, drawing a gasp from my lungs, before I remember where I am and calm myself.

Not that knowing I am essentially a prisoner is all that soothing to wake up to.

Sitting up in an attempt to distract myself from that uplifting thought, I rub my eyes as I swing my legs off the cushioned platform for the first time this morning.

To be truthful, I am not feeling too bad today. I nod to myself, grinning slightly despite the circumstances. This 'bed' idea may be new, but it has done wonders for my spine. I stretch my shoulders, arching my back and feeling the muscles along my torso loosen.

What am I going to do today? I ponder, looking at the ceiling. Multiple cameras stare back down at me, and I smile slightly, sheepish that they are watching. I had better get used to it, though. I lay down again, but my head turns abruptly toward the door as it chimes suddenly, alarming me back into a sitting position.

Keh...?

To my surprise, the door opens, revealing a small squad of human soldiers and a human woman in front of them that I am not familiar with.

"Good morning," she greets. She seems relaxed, but her hand is resting on a nastily large holster.

I sit still, despite my accelerated hearts at the thought of where I might be going, of what might happen, determined to not be intimidated by circumstances out of my control. She seems to wait for a response, but, after a few seconds to mentally recompose myself, I just look at her expectantly, remembering that I am not to speak.

"If you'll just follow me..." She says, gesturing out the doorway. I nod, standing up and approaching the door, accepting whatever must happen today. I move cautiously, more worried about the humans' weapons than I would like to admit. No sense in getting shot because I walk too quickly, after all. Humans are easily spooked.

"I'm Captain Agatha Topaz. I'll be your main guard."

Are you guarding me, or are you guarding everyone around from me? I ask myself, wishing I could ask her. Probably the latter, but I suppose she would protect me from harm, as well, if I required it. I stare at the woman curiously as we walk, ignoring the soldiers in formation around me so I can maintain my confidence.

"Did you sleep well?" Agatha asks, and it takes me a moment to realize she is asking me, with my eyes too busy scanning the lackluster surroundings.

I really am unused to interacting... I think, nodding with a shrug in response to the question. I would like to tell her that I had never been in a bed before, but I cannot think of a way to convey that sentiment nonverbally.

I blame Shadow for this. It would be so much easier to just talk. Nevertheless, I hold my tongue as I am guided through the steel corridors. Bored by the dullness, my mind wanders a bit.

I have very loud footsteps, I think suddenly, glancing at my feet. My long claws are clacking on the floor quite audibly, and the sound is echoing down the passage in strange patterns. To me, the sound lasts until it is far too faint for even Shadow to hear, and the overlap of noise creates a constant chatter.

I wish this were grass or dirt. This constant clicking is annoying me.

I quirk my head as we approach a large metal door in the wall. The woman opens it by pressing a button, and I blink in surprise when I see behind it is a very small, metallic room.