Shadow: You Only Have One Bed

Eclipse and I walk down the hallway in silence, each immersed in our own thoughts. I'm trying very hard not to look at him, telling myself that he'll let me know when he wants to talk. Even though it's only one in the afternoon, Rouge left just a minute ago for her home, in order to rest up before tomorrow. I intend to follow her example, but I don't want to leave Eclipse hanging on my advice--I want to take this opportunity to talk to him.

I frown, surreptitiously stealing a glance at my younger half-brother. His emotions escape me; I have no idea what he's thinking. I would say his brows look furrowed, but I think I may be imagining the sharper angle. And, I can't decide if the slight grimace on his face is out of worry or simply thought.

Tearing my gaze away, I shake my head, giving up the endeavor before I can misinterpret him too badly.

I'm not nearly as good at discerning people as he is. I should just wait for him to tell me how he's feeling. For a moment, I manage to quiet my mind, but the nagging instinct to help my half-brother doesn't fade. It knocks on my mental doors until, finally, the protective urge skirts my defenses and peeks its head into my mind. But... I still want to make sure he's alright. I look back, taking a preparatory breath.

"I'm going to go to bed soon. Do you want to talk?" I question him, deciding I might as well just ask. He gives me a startled look--did I manage to screw this up, despite my best efforts?--and nods hesitantly.

"Here?" He asks, and I consider for a moment.

"No," I decide, flicking an ear. "Teleport with me to my room, and we can talk there. I'm tired of all these conversations in hallways."

"Fair point," he jokes, grinning a bit. I smile back, remembering how, just a month before, seeing him happy about speaking with me was a distant dream.

This went better than expected.

I send him a quick thought with my room's location and image, pleased with how easy mental contact has become. We're still working on fighting in tandem, but everyday hivemind use has improved beyond what I even knew it could; Eclipse and I can share information nearly as quickly as I could simply think of it myself.

A moment later, we're standing in my room, and I click on my desk lamp to give us some light. I sit on the edge of the bed, gesturing for Eclipse to take the spot near the opposite end.

"Cozy," he observes as he joins me, looking around. "Far busier than my room. I just have a bed."

"Well, if you stay on as an agent after this is all over, you'll get your own quarters, too," I reply, cautiously observing him to see his response to the suggestion.

"Maybe," he shrugs, leaning forward to rest his elbows on his knees. "I need to do a good job on the mission first, though." I recognize the segue and nod, crossing my arms as I look up at the ceiling, trying to gather my thoughts.

"First things first: When in doubt, default to your orders. G.U.N.'s field leaders are competent, and it's by far the safer option for your situation. Trust that they know what they're doing and follow their commands to the best of your ability."

"That's a little ironic, coming from you," he comments, flashing a quick grin at me. I roll my eyes, switching my gaze to the wall.

"Second," I begin, a small warning to be serious in my tone. "If you don't understand something, make sure you ask them to clarify; an extra few seconds getting a clearer explanation can save lives."

"Who should I ask? You or Andrews?" The question surprises me slightly, but it's a good inquiry. There are some things that would be much faster for me to convey through the hivemind than to explain verbally.