Eclipse: But Taunting You is So Fun!

"Hah!" I cackle as I flip off one of the last training robots, easily turning in the air to crush another upon landing. It goes down with no effort, and I smirk as I stand atop the smoking chassis, flashing a grin towards the observation deck. My smugness increases when Shadow steps out from it, grudgingly nodding.

"Not bad," he grunts, and my grin widens.

"Not bad," I agree, smirking mischievously. "Badass."

"Don't flatter yourself," he huffs, crossing his arms.

"It's flattery when I deserve it," I reply slyly, simpering. Shadow rolls his eyes, but I know he's just impressed. I've progressed combat levels with unprecedented speed, and I'm almost ready to start taking on the same simulations as him. Shadow doesn't want to admit that, though, since it means I have even more of a knack for battle than he does.

Smirking again at the thought, I prowl back across the floor, my sharp teeth gleaming in the light as I take my predatory appearance up to eleven to celebrate. Shadow follows me, shaking his head in mock dismay. Well, maybe actual dismay. I don't stop to worry about it.

"Great job," Agatha praises as I draw near the people flooding from the deck. "Your technique is really coming together. Very sleek."

"Thank you," I beam, making a quick half-bow. Shadow's bat-friend, Rouge, rolls her eyes.

"Topaz, don't inflate his ego anymore. He'll start floating."

"Telekinesis does run in the family," I concur, smiling at her. "I'm glad you remembered."

"Ugh," she groans, holding up her hand to block her sight of me. "You're intolerable."

"I prefer 'insufferable.' It implies being far too extreme for one to handle, as opposed to just annoying." I punctuate my sentence with a wink, mocking her habit of using them. She grimaces, having peered over her hand just in time to catch that.

"I cannot believe you're related to Shadow. There's just no way," she declares, shaking her head. "You two cannot possibly have the same blood."

"Unfortunately, we do," Shadow replies, inserting himself rather half-heartedly. "How, I'm not sure. I think he was hatched too early."

"Oh, clever," I poke, finally having cause to do my own eye roll. "Did you come up with that one yourself?"

"Yes," he replies, raising an eyebrow at me. "It's true, though. That's why you've grown so much."

"I have matured, haven't I," I muse, looking down at myself. I'm taller than Shadow by several inches now, though his shoes mitigate it a bit, and I am very muscular. My powerful build is a stark contrast to Shadow's thin one, but I think that's a good thing. It differentiates us.

"Only physically," he snorts, and I huff at him.

"I know that look," Agatha interjects, quickly stepping between us. "No arguing. Priorities, remember?"

"Yeah, got it," I say, at the same time Shadow mutters "Right."

"You sound so disappointed," Rouge laughs. "Geez, I thought you were bad with Sonic, Shadz."

"Sonic's just generally annoying. Eclipse knows exactly what to say to tick me off," Shadow grumbles in reply. "He's a master in a world of novices."

"It's a point of pride for me," I agree modestly, and Rouge and Agatha exchange an unimpressed glance.

"See?" Shadow asks, sounding vindicated. I nod, musing for a moment, then turn to him.

"'Petite,'" I say, sounding thoughtful. I leave it at that, letting it sink in for a second. Watching Shadow's eyes widen when he suddenly gets whatever I've implied is always so satisfying, and this time is no exception.