Eclipse: Emergency

"Kry-kry-kry!" I yelp, hissing involuntarily. "That hurts..." The fresh cut begins to heal, but several drops of acidic blood run off of my arm for the enth time today.

"Only two more," Ayers promises, and I groan, watching my skin knit together again. "We're almost done with this, and then you've only got the energy trial."

"Ergh," I complain, resisting the urge to rub my arm. "I am so looking forward to not being in pain for the first time today."

"Well, I would apologize, but this was your choice," Agatha chimes in, and I grin sheepishly, flexing my sore, bruised muscles.

"That is an unfortunately valid point," I reply, wincing as a particularly stiff ligament stretches. "At least I'm almost done torturing myself, though."

"Mmh, yes, doing the thing we all told you not to do," Agatha chuckles, shaking her head. "What I am supposed to do with you, Eclipse?"

"Watch in dismay," I joke, wincing again as the second-to-last material is dragged through my skin. "Tch, a little warning next time," I whine exaggeratedly, giving Ayers a pleading look. She sighs, nevertheless smiling affectionately at my antics.

An affectionate human, I think, still a bit amazed by the concept. What a world...

One last stinging line across my upper arm, and I am finally done. But, rather than relax like I did during my last break, I wait impatiently for the next test. According to Ayers, Shadow had managed five rounds when he did the blunt force test, which is almost twice as impressive as my three--I admit the fact irks me. But, my healing is faster, so, pleasingly, I trumped him on the nick test. Now, I am rearing to beat him in something and break the tie.

"I'm going to warn you, this one was really painful for Shadow," Agatha says worriedly from behind me, and I turn to look at her, surprised.

"As in, how much?" I ask, trying not to sound too nervous myself.

"Well, I didn't actually witness it, but..." She trails off. "I heard he suffered some sort of minor breakdown. It was excruciating, apparently, and only a very small area on his arm was even targeted. I don't know if it'll hurt as much or more for you, but you should be prepared, just in case."

"Oh. Well, that's...terrifying," I respond truthfully, anticipation rapidly transforming into dread.

"He got a scar from it, too. Energy weapons are one of the only things that can scar him, apparently. So, you'll want to pick an area that's not aesthetically significant, in case you scar, too." I nod solemnly, absorbing the information. It takes a least several minutes more of waiting before Ayers is ready to do the final test, and I consciously try to calm my hearts, which are pounding against my chest.

"Alright, we're good to go," The Professor declares, walking over in an ominously protective suit and face mask. "Where do you want the zap?" She asks, and I swallow, eyes widening slightly at the glowing blue prod.

"Um, arm is fine. I don't mind having a scar there," I reply, forcing a weak smile.

"Okay. Now, I'm going to count down for you, got it? Try to brace yourself--this may hurt quite a bit." Somewhere in my mind, I answer with an I've heard, but my mouth seems unable to form the words. "Ready?" I resist the urge to shake my head no. "Three,"--Oh no--"two,"--I'm an idiot--"one--"--Why did I sign up for this?!

An involuntary squeak escapes me as the energy makes contact, body flinching away from...another small cut?

What...?

"What?" I question dumbly, confused. I am looking down at a simple slice just like the one formed by the earlier, non-energy materials. "Why doesn't it hurt?"