Shadow: Return to Reality

My eyes crack open, an involuntary groan escaping from my mouth. I first become aware of the incredibly parched feeling of my tongue and throat, but, as I open my mouth to suck in cooling air, I almost whimper in pain. Everything in my body hurts. My chest feels like it's being crushed, my skull might as well be splitting, and my legs...

My legs feel like they've been etched with stitches of fire in random patterns. They feel like they've been stuck with thousands of needles, all of which are made of salt. They feel like...

I let the thought trail off, too exhausted and in pain to focus on describing it. I let my eyelids slip over my irides, seeing splashes of black over my vision.

What happened to me? I don't attempt to get up, worried I might have been captured. All I remember is being shot, collapsing from the pain or wounds--I can't tell which--and being semi-conscious as I was picked up and bounced along for what felt like hours.

Am I in G.U.N.? Everything looks like the facility at the Guardian Units of Nations, but I can't be sure. Imitations are always possible.

I tense as the door chirps, a sound lock being opened on the other side. A man walks in, unknown by me but wearing official scrubs.

"Shadow," he greets, walking over. "I am Shaun Caraber, head of the Medical Department. It's nice to meet you."

"Likewise, Dr. Caraber. May I see your badge?" The question takes him by surprise, but he unclips his identification and hands it to me. It's a struggle even to raise my arm enough, but I look over it thoroughly until I'm convinced this isn't a trick.

Thank goodness. I breathe a large sigh of relief, relaxing into the pillows I'm propped up on.

"Here," says Caraber, pouring me a glass of water and holding it out for me. I take it, sniffing carefully. "It does have a few painkillers, but they're to help you," he adds, and I carefully take a sip.

Well, at least I can taste them. I would be worried if I couldn't detect them. I try to relax again, knowing that I can most likely trust this man. But, I'm cautious, drinking slowly as he asks me various questions. I feel my pain fading, but I can't discern anything else being affected. Feeling reassured, I finish my water and nod respectfully to the nurses coming in to change my bandages. I watch carefully as they unwrap my legs, which are covered in white gauze and padding.

Bloody Chaos. My eyes widen as I see how much fur is missing. Skin and muscle heals quickly for me, but my patchily bald legs tell me that I was severely wounded, with almost half the fur on them yet to grow back.

"What happened?" I ask, shocked. I hadn't suspected my injuries would be this bad.

"You were shot multiple times. We removed all the shrapnel, though we had to shave some parts. Most of the wounds have healed, but you'll want to stay off of them for a few days. We'll provide you with a wheelchair."

"A wheelchair?" I ask, disbelieving.

"Shadow, you were close to death when you were brought in. Just hours ago, your muscles and tendons were in shreds. You cannot strain them so soon after. I will not allow it."

"..." I resist the urge to argue, knowing it won't get me anywhere. Then, thinking of something, I open my mouth again.

"Who brought me back?"

"You don't remember?" Caraber asks in surprise. "It was another Mobian, the one with gray skin."

"Eclipse?" I exclaim, incredulous. He's not a Mobian, but I can't think of anyone else with that description.