| 01 |

~=~

  "Brother, are you on the way to Midgard?" Astrilde asked excitedly, chasing her long blond haired brother down the grand golden halls of the palace. He wore his signature armor, his deep red cape fluttering behind him as he walked at a brisk pace. Astrilde wore her own armor, hoping to accompany him on his journey.

  The man in question stopped the previously spinning magical hammer Mjolnir in his hand. Clearly, he was going to quicken his arrival to the Bifrost, as they had arrived right outside the entrance of the palace. He turned to face his younger sister, a wide smile painting his face at her familiar face. "Sister! Yes, I was just heading to the Bifrost!" Thor, her brother, boomed, his loud voice bouncing off the golden walls and domed ceiling. Astrilde returned the grin he possessed, jumping on her feet in childish glee.

  "Could I come with you?" Astrilde asked hopefully, her eyes gleaming in something akin to begging. Thor didn't look surprised at her question, because even if he was a loveable dolt in her eyes, it was impossible to ignore Astrilde's fascination with Midgard. He stood for a second, most likely debating the consequences of his actions.

  "Are you sure this is wise?" Thor asked hesitantly, chuckling at her increasing excitement.

  "Of course, brother! I have been losing my mind in this palace!"

  "Very well, then." Happiness shot through Astrilde like a Midgardian bullet, and she squealed, unable to contain her joy any longer.

  Astrilde had been imploring Thor for years to let her accompany him to Midgard. However, her brother thought it was best for her to stay in Asgard, where it was "safe". She assumed her father had something to do with her inability to leave the realm as well. Asgard had quickly become a prison to Astrilde, not unlike the time Loki had been imprisoned in the dungeons.

  Her friend Sif had been there for a bit to quell her boredom, but the warrior had other matters to attend to, and Astrilde couldn't rely on her to help anyway. Nothing could really help, she wasn't the same after she left behind the idea of love. Astrilde was officially convinced love was her curse. After all, it still plagued her even in the present.

  "I cannot wait! Let me go pack!" Astrilde finally exclaimed, not even paying attention to her brother's next words as she sprinted off down the hallway, her heeled boots clicking down as she went.

  Though she was a princess, she had no concept of formality when she was excited, which was clearly shown as she ran. She dodged flustered maids and the guards that pace the hallways, unperturbed by any annoyance she caused them. She was in her own world.

  As soon as she arrived in her bedchambers, Astrilde packed some items into a backpack Thor had brought from Midgard for her. In hopes of staying long in Midgard, she packed extra clothing, which consisted of only dresses. While she dreamed of a life on Midgard, her thoughts wandered dangerously in the direction of love. Maybe even love would be different... Astrilde thought, but quickly banished the idea from her mind. Love is universal. That means it cannot be different.

  Astrilde threw the backpack over her shoulder before stepping out of her bedchambers. Her golden cape billowed in invisible air currents as she hurried to get back to Thor. Not a thought of saying goodbye to her father Odin passed her mind when she came across his bedchambers. The relationship between herself and Odin had been rocky, even more so after Thor had returned from Svartalfheim sans Loki. During that time, her father had started acting odd, so she steered clear of him. Even now, as she headed back to her brother and the Bifrost, she didn't feel guilt for not bidding the man farewell.

  However, when Astrilde walked past her brother Loki's bedchambers, she couldn't help but be momentarily swallowed by grief at the thought that he and Frigga were no longer among the living. While she wasn't as close as she should have been with Loki when he was alive, they had shared similar interests. His were just more... extreme than hers. To be honest, she had also loved her mother, but she wasn't sure whose death hurt her more. Especially with the circumstances between both's death.

  She shook her head, it was not the time to be plunged into the endless ocean of grief. She had grieved enough, and while she would miss them, they were in a better place. The realms weren't doing well, and the peace was slowly disappearing.

  Finally, she arrived back where she had left Thor, every grim thought vacating her mind, being replaced with happier prospects. Her brother stood, clearly bored as he twirled his hammer around. Astrilde smiled at his antics, happy that something so small could distract her from grief. "I am ready to go!" She announced, scaring Thor and nearly getting hit by Mjolnir. Thor sighed in relief at her familiar face, and probably the fact that he didn't accidentally hit his sister.

  "Let us go then," Thor responded, twirling his hammer and flying off.

  "Wait for me!" Astrilde called in exasperation, sprinting after her brother.

***

  Astrilde was still grinning when she arrived at the entrance of the Bifrost. Thor stood but a few feet away from Heimdall, the keeper of the Bifrost, who stood in the middle of the domed room. Thor nodded to him, and Heimdall turned the sword to open the Bifrost. Astrilde squealed, grabbing her brother's hand and jumping into the Bifrost in uncontained excitement.

  "To Midgard we go!" She yelled.

~=~