| 25 |

~=~

Asgard - Hundreds of years ago; With Astrilde's POV

  Astrilde walked down the street of the 'shopping district' of Asgard. It wasn't that special, that was for sure, but for some reason Astrilde enjoyed it. She knew exactly how to ditch her father's guards when she went there, and it was really the only free time she could manage to grasp. After a risky attack from one of Odin's enemies on his daughter's life, he had become increasingly stingy with her protection. It was annoying, especially since she knew the guards said snide things about her love of Midgard.

  The warm breeze comforted her, making the wrapped items within her basket crinkle. Even that small noise made her happy. A sudden excited squeal, however, had her previous calm replaced by alertness. It wasn't anything for her to be alert for. Standing on the side of the street, a man and woman were hugging. If it was Midgard, they would be kissing, but Asgard was conservative that way. Despite the dreary thoughts of Asgard's unspoken social rules, she smiled to herself, enchanted by the couple's obvious love. Their love will last a lifetime, I am sure of it.

  Finally, she continued down the road, in much brighter spirits. Love did that to her, it made her feel good. Love was the one thing that caused her to second guess wanting to leave Asgard. Especially since the love in the realm was intoxicating- Astrilde couldn't drink enough of it. After all, she was nothing without it.

***

  "Brother! Look what I found in the market!" Astrilde exclaimed, her voice bright. A bag full of various Asgardian fruits was in one hand, and in the other was a bag that held a Midgardian painting. It was a small, unappreciated piece of work, but it was so incredibly rare on Asgard.

  "You are still obsessing over Midgard? It has been decades, Astrilde," Loki's voice responded from the window ledge he was perched on. His voice showed clear disinterest, and a book, as usual, was open in his hands.

  "I-I do not obsess! I am simply fascinated by it!" Astrilde stuttered out unconvincingly. She didn't normally feel the need to make excuses, but she was tired of Loki's sour attitude.

  "If you are so enthralled, why not go?" Loki's voice rang out again, followed by the sound of a page turning in the worn leather book.

  "Father forbade me. You should know, you were there."

  "That is what stops you from going?"

  "Unlike you, I do not like causing mischief."

  "Then you have no reason to be in my chambers."

  Astrilde rolled her eyes, before leaving Loki's bedchambers. Their conversations usually ended like that, so Astrilde wasn't bothered in the slightest. Like Thor always said, Loki was a useless case when it came to his attitude.

  "Quarreling with Loki again I see, sister," Thor greeted Astrilde when she closed Loki's bedchamber's door. Thor, the eldest of the three, was dressed in his normal armor, with a smile on his face. She glanced at him, frowning. Thor wasn't much better than Loki, so she tried to avoid him as much as possible.

  "I would not call it quarreling as much as discussing. Loki is simply too mischievous for my liking," Astrilde stated flippantly. She kept walking past Thor, but he quickly followed.

  "You will not even let me tell you what is on my mind?"

  "It is likely something immature."

  "Have more faith in me." Astrilde sighed, before turning to the man that would be king hundreds of years in the future.

  "What do you need?"

  "Would you care to accompany Father and I to Vanaheim?" Thor asked, smiling a smile that attracted women from far and wide. It didn't have any effect on Astrilde, however, since she was his sister, not one of the countless women Thor courted.

  "Oh? What is your motivations for asking me to accompany you?"

  "Motivations? What motivations?" Astrilde stared at her brother, unconvinced.

  "You always have something you want me to do."

  "You possess little faith in me, sister."

  "I just know you." Thor looked unaffected by her words.

  "Will you accompany us? Vanaheim has several Midgardian artifacts for sale." Right when Thor said 'Midgardian', Astrilde was sold.

  "I might as well," She answered, playing off her newfound excitement. Not very well, seeing as she had responded almost immediately after Thor mentioned the artifacts. "When do we leave?"

  "Tomorrow at dawn. Meet Father and I at the Bifrost," Thor responded. Astrilde nodded, before heading to her bedchambers. She had to prepare for her journey the next day.

***

  "I am here! Do not leave without me!" Astrilde yelled as she ran into the Bifrost room, nearly falling as she slipped on the slick floors. There stood Thor, who was basically jumping up and down with uncontained energy. Her father, on the other hand, was completely still, a look of disappointment painted on his face. Astrilde slowed, hanging her head down when she saw Odin's face. "I am sorry I am late, Father."

  "Do not worry my child. Now, we must leave," Odin responded, but Astrilde knew he was upset. Odin was just careful around her, but she couldn't figure out why. Maybe it was because of his oncoming failure with Loki. Whatever the reason, she brushed it off.

  "Of course father."

***

  The warm air was comforting to Astrilde as she walked into a store set on the cobbled street. She had made a deal with her father and brother that she would meet them in the capitol building in a few hours. That meant she had plenty of time to explore Vanaheim's countless stores, and ditch her guards.

  It was kind of funny how easy it was to get them off her trail, especially since her destinations were painfully obvious. In fact, the first store that had immediately caught her attention was named 'The Nine Realms Trinkets'. It was a simple and straightforward name, one which prompted her to walk into the store immediately. It was quiet, save for a few wind chimes ringing and a few people roaming the store. She was drawn to the Midgardian items on her right, so much so that she didn't pay attention to anything around her.

  So, it wasn't surprising when she ran into something- rather... someone. Her mind had been focused on the shelf to her right, which had different animal bones and modern items. "Oh! I am so sorry," Astrilde apologized when she ran into the person, stepping back.

  "It's quite alright miss," The man responded, smiling warmly. His brown hair was short and fluffy, but what really caught Astrilde's attention was his forest green eyes.

  Frankly, Astrilde was stunned. It wasn't that she was attracted to him, he was just... what was the word? Different? Maybe. There was just something... compelling about him. She nodded to him in apology, maneuvering around him.

  Not long after, Astrilde had forgotten the encounter. After all, she was distracted by admiring Midgardian items, and it was doubtful she would see the strange man again. At least, that's what she thought... until a week later back on Asgard.

~=~