| 38 |

~=~

"Compromise where you can

"Compromise where you can. But where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye, and say 'No, you move.'"

~=~

  Astrilde felt uncomfortable, walking into the funeral home in London (or was it a church?), but it had to be done. Funeral homes were a thing on Midgard Astrilde never saw herself visiting. The heartbreak that hung in the air was overwhelming, like the air was thinned.

  Natasha accompanying her made Astrilde feel better than anyone would ever know. The only thing Natasha didn't help with was how homesick Astrilde already felt. She had a feeling she wouldn't be returning to the compound, and she hadn't even told Wanda goodbye. What she was about to do could make it impossible for the Asgardian to stay on Midgard, but she had to do what was right. She couldn't do that in a compound that was being heavily watched by the government.

  Natasha pulled the heavy wooden door of the building, and the duo entered. Astrilde had already spotted Steve. He had heartbreak radiating from him, so she paused, letting Natasha walk toward him while she hung back. The Asgardian didn't want to intrude, so she slid into one of the wooden seats.

  Steve turned, hearing Natasha's heels on the carpeted floor. He glanced at Astrilde as well, but focused back on the red head almost immediately afterward.

  "When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I had known was gone. Then I found out she was alive. I was just lucky to have her," Steve said, leaning against the seats.

  "She had you back too," Natasha said softly.

  "Who else signed?"

  "Tony, Rhodey, Vision."

  "Clint?"

  "Says he's retired."

  "Wanda?"

  "TBD."

  "...Astrilde?"

  "You might want to ask her yourself. I'm off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords. There's plenty of room on the jet." Steve sighed. "Just because it's the path of least resistance doesn't mean it's the wrong path. Staying together is more important than how we stay together." Astrilde's heart clenched at that, she was so tempted to sign the Accords. But she couldn't.

  "What are we giving up to do it?"

  "Everything," Astrilde muttered, and by the look on Steve's face, he had heard her.

  "I'm sorry Nat. I can't sign it."

  "I know."

  "Then what are you doing here?"

  "I didn't want you to be alone." The two hugged, before Natasha made her exit.

  "Are you sure?" Natasha asked Astrilde, stopping at where the Asgardian was sitting. Astrilde smiled sadly.

  "Yes. Watch after Wanda, would you?" She asked, her heart hurting as she said so.

  "Of course," Natasha responded, hugging the goddess. Astrilde watched as her friend left, before turning to Steve.

  "You don't have to do this, you know. You can still go, still have a life with Wanda and everybody," Steve told her.

  "I made my mind up before we had even set foot in the briefing room, Steve."

  "What are you going to do now? Go back to Asgard?"

  "Asgard is no home for me. I-I wouldn't have come if I didn't have anywhere else to go," She muttered.

  "Do you want to stay with Sam and I?" A beat of silence.

  "Yes."

***

  The bombing in Vienna occurred only a few hours later, and soon Steve, Sam, and herself were on the way to the scene of the crime, after seeing Bucky on screen in Sharon's hotel room. Astrilde had been thankful that Wanda had not been in Vienna, and that Natasha's name was not announced on the list of the dead. Those were two small things to comfort her in the newfound chaos that had erupted within the city.

  Astrilde looked around at her surroundings, her body tense. She was with Steve, who wore a baseball cap and sunglasses as if that would stop anybody from recognizing him. Meanwhile, her disguise was Midgardian clothing and a hairstyle called 'space buns', which had somehow deterred anyone from recognizing her.

  Steve talked to Natasha on the phone, the latter clearly trying to deter him from taking any kind of action. Astrilde knew it wouldn't work, though. Steve had love for Bucky, and love was not easily defeated. Astrilde should know. Her heart yearned for Wanda, but she had to stay far away from the enhanced woman. It could be dangerous for Wanda to be influenced by Astrilde, especially when it came to deciding whether or not to sign the accords.

  Eventually the duo walked back to the bar they had left Sam at. He wore a similar getup to Steve, hat and all. "She tell you to stay out of it?" Sam asked Steve as they approached. Steve didn't respond, he didn't need to. "Might have a point."

  "He'd do it for me."

  "1945 maybe. I just want to make sure we consider all our options. The people who shoot at you usually wind up shooting at me."

  "I'm not going to follow both of you into this. I promised myself I wouldn't fight over-" Astrilde stopped herself. "Just know that I won't be available to help." Steve looked about to say something, when Sharon appeared beside her.

  "Tips have been pouring in since that footage went public. Everybody thinks the Winter Soldier goes to their gym. Most of it's noise. Except for this," Sharon said, sliding a file over to Steve. "My boss expects a briefing, pretty much now so that's all the head start you're gonna get."

  "Thank you," Steve responded.

  "You're gonna have to hurry. We have orders to shoot on sight." Astrilde felt her heart drop, but soon realized it was not her own emotion. It was Steve's. She brushed away her powers, which seemed to do whatever they wanted. It was then that Sharon left.

  "I'm guessing you're going to follow that lead?" Astrilde asked.

  "I'll follow every lead if it means I find him before they do," Steve responded.

  "Is this where we part, then?"

  "It doesn't have to." Astrilde looked at Steve in silent question.

  "I won't fight."

  "I'm not saying you need to."

  "I'm not on one side, Steve. It's not that easy."

  "I understand."

  "You know there could be repercussions."

  "I understand."

~=~