| 36 |

Just wait until Chapter 40 y'all. It's going to be fun. In the end anyway. Also, nine(?) more chapters until the end of Philophobia >~<. It's crazy how I've managed to keep up with a story for once in my life.

~=~

With Astrilde's POV

  For some undisclosed reason, Tony had enlisted Astrilde to go with him to create a good impression with the Secretary of State, before he visited the compound. In all honesty, Astrilde was clueless as to why Tony had enlisted her help, of all people. Sure, she was a generally peppy and enthusiastic person but she wasn't an American citizen. She wasn't even a citizen of the Earth!

  Still, something about Tony's hopeful eyes, and the fact that he was one of her best friends, had her conceding quite quickly. So, that's how she found herself in a limo, heading back to the compound – back to Wanda.

---

  "Five years ago, I had a heart attack, and dropped right in the middle of my backswing. Turned out it was the best round of my life because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass, I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me. Perspective," Ross' voice echoed through the room. The Avengers were gathered around the table Ross stood in front of, listening to his seemingly off-topic tangent.

  The only two who weren't at the table were Tony and herself, the former sitting in a corner while the latter stood with her arms crossed a few feet behind Wanda. A dagger was tucked hidden in her casual outfit, an unseen example of her uneasiness. "The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives, but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some... who would prefer the word 'vigilantes'," Ross continued.

  "What word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha asked.

  "How about 'dangerous'?" His response elicited a grimace from Astrilde. In Asgard, Astrilde had never been perceived as a threat, at least from a weapon standpoint. It unnerved her. "What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" Astrilde was tempted to speak, but held her tongue. No need to get into an altercation with a highly respected government official.

  "New York," Ross said, showing video of Loki's alien attack. Astrilde bit her lip, pained at the memory of the death of her brother. "Washington, D.C." Video of said attack showed. "Sokovia." At that mention, Wanda looked pained, causing Astrilde to take a strong step, and uncertainty in her stance disappearing. "Lagos." At that, Astrilde couldn't stop from speaking.

  "Stop," Astrilde said quietly, but not timidly. At the same time, Steve said "that's enough". The Secretary nodded.

  "For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." He took a book from one of the security guards in the room, passing it to Wanda. "The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries, it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

  "The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that," Steve spoke finally.

  "Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" Steve simply glanced at Ross. Nobody knew where the two were.

  "If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes, you can bet there'd be consequences." A cynical laugh escaped Astrilde's lips before she could stop it, causing the Avengers to glance at her in shock. Astrilde was a generally happy and kind individual, yet that laugh sounded so cold. She pursed her lips for a second, recognising their shock, before speaking.

  "It is humorous that you believe that people are the same thing as weapons."

  "Astrilde, not now," Tony muttered. She shot a half-hearted glare at the billionaire, but it didn't actually mean anything threatening.

  "Oh, I apologize that Secretary Ross thinks that people who are different from him are without thought. My brother may not be of this world, and Bruce may be powered, but that doesn't make them tools. I simply believe that his vision is askew," Her voice was strong, but not yet filled with any true aggression. While she may have felt the need to stand up for what she believed, she wasn't about to stoop down to Secretary Ross' level to do it.

  "They damn well are nukes! The amount of destruction caused-"

  "I know destruction. If it weren't for the Avengers, then you would all be dead by now."

  "Get her out of here," Ross commanded the security behind her. Astrilde shook her head, soft smile on her lips. Before the security could even come within a foot of her, a dagger was within her hand, and she walked confidently away. She knew what was right in her heart, and she wasn't going to be manhandled just because she defended the Avengers.

~=~