| 26 |

~=~

   A week passed since Astrilde had visited Vanaheim, and had brought countless Midgardian items with her. She didn't recall the encounter with the strange man, having already moved on to other things- like playing matchmaker of Asgard. However, it was one of her off-times, so she sat in one of her favorite places in Asgard.

  The library in the golden palace wasn't anything to be underestimated. It's tall golden ceilings opened up room thousands of books, ones that sat in bookshelves that seemed never-ending. The library contained all of the knowledge Asgard could possibly need, aside from the books Odin had locked away in his study. Astrilde had no idea why, but she didn't question the Allfather.

  "I thought a girl such as yourself would be out socializing," A voice spoke up. Astrilde glanced up from her book, her eyes meeting familiar green ones. She nearly reeled back in surprise, but stopped herself before she could commit the rude gesture.

  "Then you are assuming what I prefer to do in my free time," She responded fiercely, used to the ignorance of people. He raised up his hands in defense.

  "I didn't mean to assume, princess." Astrilde didn't even flinch at the word 'princess'. After all, she was technically the princess of Asgard. Though, it felt wrong in his mouth, especially since it sounded more like a pet name than a term of respect. She wasn't particularly amused.

  "Then what do you mean to do?"

  "I simply wanted to acknowledge somebody whom I had encountered last week."

  "Why is that? I am certain you do not just speak to any woman that you may see more than once." He nodded in agreement.

  "That is true. I just happened to notice that you like Midgard, you were enchanted by those trinkets in Vanaheim. I found a spot that gives you a clean view of the realm, in the forest. I was wondering if you'd care to join me?"

  "Why should I trust you?" Astrilde questioned. She knew for a fact that Midgard was impossible to see from Asgard.

  "You have no reason not to." Those words weren't particularly compelling, but coming from his mouth, she felt the urge to go with him. It was as if she trusted him with every fibre of her being, even if she had only just met him. So much so that she didn't even notice he hadn't introduced himself.

  "Must we go now?"

  "No. Meet me at your stables around sunset. The clearing requires horseback, so I do hope you know how to ride a horse." She nodded, of course she knew how to ride a horse. How did he think she'd survive in Asgard if she didn't?

***

  True to his word, the duo met at sunset in the royal stables. They had quickly departed, headed toward the viewing spot the man claimed to have found. Astrilde knew in her mind and heart that they wouldn't be able to see Midgard, but, just as it had occurred earlier, something urged her to continue.

  It was a mere thirty minutes on horseback before they arrived at their destination. The clearing was gorgeous, with several bright flowers lining it. A type of Asgardian bug that glowed flew in the clearing, lighting small spaces with brilliant golden light. The sun had set, so the bugs were the only light source near. It reminded her of Vanaheim, which always seemed to be a realm fit for fairies.

  "This place... it's stunning," Astrilde admitted, surveying her surroundings. She glanced at the sky, hoping to see a glance of Earth. However, just like she assumed, the realm was nowhere in sight. All there was were stars and nearer planets. I knew it wouldn't be visible. Midgard is countless stars away from Asgard. But... why did I believe him?