Chapter 1

"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you." -Maya Angelou

----

In the fifth grade, while watching a health documentary in school, Alona learned that chronic loneliness increases the risk of an early death by 14%. Immediately after hearing the fact, she ripped out a sheet of paper and quickly jotted the fact down.

Being alone played a huge role in her childhood. Not having a family made her see things differently than other kids. For example the other kids didn't write down random facts while watching a health documentary, instead, they whispered to their friends or slept during the documentary.

Perhaps she wrote down the fact to remind herself that by having someone, anyone, was beneficial to her. It was something she required, like drinking water; her body needed to interact with someone.

That's the main reason she stayed so busy. All the clubs at school, all of the study groups, and all the weekend jobs, they weren't necessarily because she needed them, they were for her own benefit; it was for her health, or at least that was what she told herself.

----

"Alona I've got a story for you." Devon said. Devon was the head of the newspaper staff on campus. He called her almost every day, either to tell her crazy stories about his family or to give her a new story idea.

"Oh yeah? Fill me in." Alona replied, sipping warm tea outside the cafeteria. Devon always had a story for her, whether it be about an infestation of lizards in the boy's locker room or why the art major students don't go inside the business building.

"It has to do with the Science Club." He replied, his voice revealing he knew she wouldn't want the story.

Alona groaned, "No." She said into her phone.

"Come one! No one else is brave enough to take this story. Please?" He whined through the phone, "You might not even have to talk to any of the members."

The University of Maine had a notorious Science Club, known for pushing boundaries, LOTS of boundaries.

"Fine, but you owe me. Text me the info" Alona said hanging up. Devon was used to her abrupt way of ending a conversation.

Alona had reasons for not wanting to go anywhere near the Science Club; the main reason being Mr. Werner, the club's head professor. He was strange, from his looks to his actions. There were rumors that a girl, Becky Gills, who had gone missing months before, was with Mr. Werner the night before she disappeared, but there was no proof.

This was also another reason Alona didn't want to go near the Science Club or Mr. Werner, she had done a story on Becky's disappearance which included the theory about "a teacher" assisting in her disappearance. Needless to say, he was not happy about being included, even though he was anonymous.